Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    February 19, 2026
    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    February 19, 2026
    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • US to withdraw all troops from Syria
    • Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections
    • DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe
    • Tinubu strips NNPCL of oil revenue deduction powers, orders direct remittance to FAAC
    • Lagos hands over TikToker Mirabel ‘rape’ case to Ogun for investigation
    • Tinubu seeks Nigerians’ forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin
    • Tinubu says electoral results are finalised by humans not computers
    • UCL: Club Brugge score late equalizer against Atletico Madrid
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Igbo youths threaten to boycott 2027 election, demand Kanu’s release

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJuly 23, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    IPOB has said that its leader, Nnamdi Kanu, ordered the total cancellation of the Monday sit-at-home across the South-East, with effect from February 9, 2026.
    IPOB leader Nnamdi Kanu
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The All Igbo Youth Forum has threatened that Igbo youths will boycott the 2027 general elections unless Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the outlawed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), is released.

    Chief Chinedu Obilor, the Forum’s National President, made the threat during a news briefing at the Secretariat of the Abia Council of the Nigeria Union of Journalists in Umuahia on Tuesday.

    Obilor stated that the organisation postponed its planned protest against Kanu’s extended incarceration following a talk with the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Benjamin Kalu.

    He stated that Kalu promised the gathering that conversations with President Bola Tinubu about the IPOB leader’s release were ongoing.

    He said, “We believe the president will listen to the cry of Ndigbo and release Kanu.”

    According to Obilor, the forum’s position remains unchanged, and we cannot leave Nnamdi Kanu and discuss 2027.

    He stated that the group would allow the deputy speaker two months to engage the president on Kanu’s release.

    • Ohanaeze condemns Tinubu over South-East, South-South exclusion in federal appointments

    He stated that the group’s resolution required him to carry the demand for Kanu’s release to the president as soon as possible.

    “If they fail, we will hold a 10 million-man march to Abuja and dare them to jail all of us,” he tweeted.

    He queried why other agitators and terror suspects had been released while Kanu remained in detention.

    “If they feel they will use Nnamdi Kanu to do politics, we will not agree.

    “We’ll mobilise 10 million Igbo youths to march and tell the government we won’t vote if Kanu is not released,” Obilor said.

    The organisation criticised the exclusion of the South-East from recent political appointments, calling it unacceptable.

    It also addressed the continuing coalition in the African Democratic Congress, stating that “any coalition that refuses to cede the presidential ticket to the South will not fly.”

    It stated that the South backed the North for eight years under late Muhammadu Buhari and that the time has come for equity.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    Tinubu strips NNPCL of oil revenue deduction powers, orders direct remittance to FAAC

    Tinubu strips NNPCL of oil revenue deduction powers, orders direct remittance to FAAC

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Lagos hands over TikToker Mirabel ‘rape’ case to Ogun for investigation

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians' forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Tinubu seeks Nigerians’ forgiveness as Ramadan, Lent begin

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    February 19, 2026
    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    February 19, 2026
    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    February 19, 2026
    Tinubu strips NNPCL of oil revenue deduction powers, orders direct remittance to FAAC

    Tinubu strips NNPCL of oil revenue deduction powers, orders direct remittance to FAAC

    February 19, 2026
    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Lagos hands over TikToker Mirabel ‘rape’ case to Ogun for investigation

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.