Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    How navy allegedly detained lawyer, two others over Coast Guard bill

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoDecember 30, 2024No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Three suspects in the kidnapping of Nigerian Navy Lieutenant Cynthia Akor have been apprehended by Naval Unit operatives in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Nigerian Navy has been accused of illegally arresting and detaining a Port Harcourt-based lawyer, Kevin Okorie, for supporting a bill to create a Nigerian Coast Guard.

    Esther, Okorie’s wife, who raised the alarm, stated that her husband was arrested on September 10, 2024, by naval personnel from the Iwofe Aker Base, Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

    Narrating the ordeal to FIJ, she said her husband had been in detention since September alongside two others identified as Jeffrey Agogoh and Udo.

    Okorie and some people were said to have lent their voices in support of the bill, which had already passed its second reading and public hearing stages at the National Assembly.

    Esther revealed that she received a call from Okorie that he was being invited by the navy, adding that he was on his way to their base.

    However, she alleged that he had since then been detained in their facility.

    • Changfe Maigari makes history as first female pilot in Nigeria Navy

    She said, “He was invited to a meeting on September 10, and he didn’t return home that day. The next day, he called me that he was coming back home with some naval officers, but he failed to show up at home.

    “He was also unreachable on the phone. I went to the base on September 13, and they said he was not with them.

    “They then said that I should go and report to the police that he was missing. I insisted that he was in their custody because he informed me of his movement. They angrily sent me away from their office.

    “Luckily, my husband called me with an officer’s phone to inform me that he was being detained at the naval base. I then prepared food and took it to him, but they did not grant me access to him.

    “He only spoke with me from another room. I have not seen my husband since then. His location in Abuja remains unknown.

    “The last time I spoke with him, he said he did not know why they were detaining him and that he had been asking them what his offence was.”

    She revealed that some lawyers went to the naval base two weeks after her husband’s disappearance, but the naval officers denied detaining him in their facility.

    She also alleged that despite returning to the naval base to protest the arrest of her husband, the officers insisted there was no record of him with them.

    Okorie’s wife, who claimed to have further protested, said, “I asked them, who was the person I spoke with and brought food for twice in this same place? Who ate the food?” That was when one Officer Eko with phone number 08035362486 said that my husband had been moved to Abuja with no known crime.

    “Officer Eko asked me to call him later so that he would tell me where they moved my husband to in Abuja. When I called the officer, he refused to provide specific information as he promised. He repeated what they told me at their office, that he had been moved to Abuja, and that was all they knew.”

    While adding that members of the community had petitioned the Nigerian Bar Association for assistance, she expressed concern that her children had been crying, refusing to eat, and requesting to see their father.

    Esther, on the other hand, said that her husband, Okorie, and two others, Jeffrey Agogoh and Udo, were apprehended by the Nigerian Navy for demanding the establishment of a Nigerian coast guard.

    She mentioned that they had written letters to the Federal Government and the Navy, pushing for the creation of the agency.

    When contacted on Sunday, the Nigerian Navy spokesperson, Commodore Aiwuyor Adams-Aliu, denied the allegations.

    The spokesperson wrote tersely, “No such person in Naval custody.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.