Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    • Natasha in fresh clash at senate committee chairman’s office
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Declare MKO Abiola president, Afenifere demands

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoFebruary 26, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    ECOWAS court dismisses lawsuits on Kudirat Abiola’s assassination
    MKO Abiola was adjudged winner of the June 12, 1993 election
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Pan-Yoruba socio-political organization, Afenifere, on Tuesday, called on President Bola Tinubu to declare the late winner of the annulled June 12, 1993, presidential election, Chief MKO Abiola, as president posthumously.

    Afenifere’s National Publicity Secretary, Justice Faloye, announced this in an interview, echoing Senator Orji Kalu of Abia State’s earlier appeal on Tuesday.

    “We support the proposal. We actually discussed and came to the same resolution in our monthly meeting held on Tuesday.

    “(Former President Muhammadu) Buhari had already given Abiola a GCFR (Grand Commander of the Order of the Federal Republic) award, which is meant only for Presidents. If Tinubu could go further, it would be a welcome rectification of a historic political injustice,” the Afenifere chieftain said.

    Earlier on Tuesday in Abuja, Kalu, representing the Abia North Senatorial District, urged President Bola Tinubu to declare Abiola Nigeria’s President posthumously as a tribute to the winner of the June 12, 1933 presidential election.

    Kalu’s statement comes only days after former military President Gen. Ibrahim Babangida declared that Abiola won the 1999 presidential election, which was deemed the most free in Nigerian history.

    Babangida made the revelation last week at the publication of his memoirs, ‘A Journey in Service,’ 32 years after the election was nullified.

    On June 12, 2018, Nigeria’s immediate-past president, Muhammadu Buhari, bestowed the highest award, Grand Commander of the Federal Republic, on the late Abiola, a move welcomed by pro-democracy activists around the world.

    Kalu, a former governor of Abia State, told journalists at the National Assembly Complex on Tuesday that Abiola’s achievement should not be forgotten and urged President Tinubu to step up where his predecessors had fallen short.

    He said, “Yes, Abiola won the election. And I will say President Tinubu should declare him a president posthumously.”

    • Babangida admits Abiola won June 12 election

    Kalu praised former President Buhari’s initiatives in bestowing a posthumous national award to Abiola but emphasized the need for additional acknowledgment.

    “Since Abiola won, his picture should be placed among Nigeria’s past presidents. I commend former President Buhari for giving him a national honor, but I also appeal to President Tinubu to officially recognize him and place his image where it belongs. This would help bring succor to his family.”

    Giving his view on Babangida’s memoirs, which were released last week, Kalu challenged the ex-military tactician with writing a second volume, stating that a single volume was insufficient to tell Babangida’s narrative.

    “I look forward to the second edition of Babangida’s book because the first did not reveal all the realities. I was present during the events of June 12, and I know what happened. Babangida should call out the names of those responsible for preventing the election’s declaration,” Kalu said.

    He criticized the ethnic label applied to the 1996 coup headed by the late Major Kaduna Nzeogwu, stating, “The coup in question was not an Igbo coup; it was a Nigerian coup, executed by the military.”

    In what looked to be an endorsement of Tinubu for a new four-year term in the following election cycle, Kalu stated, “Yes, Asiwaju will win in 2027.” “Asiwaju should continue.”

    He further noted that history has proven that even Presidents accused of poor performance have returned for a second term in power, urging Nigerians to be patient with Tinubu’s reform plan.

    Expressing confidence in Tinubu’s chances, Senator Kalu stated, “We are appealing to Nigerians to be patient with the reform process. We are not looking for another presidential candidate outside our party. We are fully aligned with our democratic principles, and we are supporting the sitting president.

    “The good news is that we will win again in 2027. The president will return, and Nigerians will celebrate with us. That is inevitable.”

    Meanwhile, Mashood Erubami, a human rights activist, urged President Tinubu to publicly accept Abiola as the true victor of the June 12, 1993 presidential election and to ensure that Abiola’s photograph is exhibited among prior presidents in government offices.

    In a statement issued Tuesday, Erubami emphasized the importance of this recognition, citing Babangida’s recent admission that he incorrectly nullified the June 12 election.

    “The current president, having heard directly from the man who annulled the June 12 election—who has now publicly admitted to subversion—should be emboldened to declare Chief MKO Abiola as the rightful and globally accepted winner of the election,” Erubami stated.

    “His portrait should thereafter be appropriately placed among those of past presidents in state and national government offices, serving as a testament to his victory and to the unwavering struggle of Nigerians for the de-annulment of the election.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    February 16, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.