Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    • Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Death toll rises to 41 in Russian plane fire

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMay 6, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Russian investigators say death toll has risen to 41 on Aeroflot fire
    Russian investigators say death toll has risen to 41 on Aeroflot fire
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Russian investigators say death toll has risen to 41 on Aeroflot fire
    Russian investigators say death toll has risen to 41 on Aeroflot fire

    At least 41 people were killed after a Russian plane made an emergency landing and burst into flames at Sheremetyevo airport in Moscow.

    Videos on social media show passengers using emergency exit slides to escape the burning Aeroflot aircraft.

    Two children and a flight attendant were among the dead, Russian media reports.

    One witness said it was a “miracle” anyone escaped the jet, which was carrying 78 passengers and five crew.

    WATCH: An Aeroflot plane with 73 passengers and 5 crew members landed in flames at Moscow’s Sheremetevo Airport, killing as many as 13 people, according to Russian media pic.twitter.com/ADgXDTj3Up

    — TicToc by Bloomberg (@tictoc) May 5, 2019

    Veronika Skvortsova, head of Russia’s ministry of health, said in a statement that six patients are in hospital – three of whom are in a critical condition.

    Aeroflot, Russia’s national carrier, said the plane was forced to return to the airport “for technical reasons”, but did not elaborate.

    The aircraft, a Sukhoi Superjet-100, departed Sheremetyevo airport at 18:02 local time (15:02 GMT) for the city of Murmansk.

    The crew issued a distress signal when “malfunctions” occurred shortly after departure.

    After making an emergency landing at the airport, the plane’s engines caught fire on the runway, Aeroflot said in a statement.

    VIDEO: Flames engulfing Russian plane which crash-landed. At least 41 dead, according to RT pic.twitter.com/FBeRb3Wbr3

    — News Breaking LIVE (@NewsBreaking) May 5, 2019

    The crew “did everything to save the passengers,” who were evacuated in 55 seconds, the firm said.

    Of the 78 people on board the Superjet-100, only 37 have been accounted for, the Russian Investigative Committee said.

    Aeroflot published a list of survivors (in Russian) who have been identified so far, adding that it will continue to be updated as new information comes to light.

    Interfax quotes a source as saying the plane’s engines caught fire on the runway after a hard landing, not in mid-air as initially reported.

    Reports also suggest it did not succeed in its first emergency landing attempt.

    Murmansk’s acting Governor Andrey Chibis has reportedly said that the families of those killed in the fire will each receive one million rubles ($15,300; £11,630), while the victims being treated in hospital will be given 500,000 rubles ($7,650; £5,815).

    Mikhail Savchenko claims he was on the plane when it exploded into a fireball on the tarmac but “managed to jump out”.

    He shared a video of passengers running away from the burning plane, posting: “‘Guys I am all right, I am alive and in one piece.”

    One of the surviving passengers, Dmitry Khlebushkin, says that he is very grateful to the flight attendants.

    “Only thanks to the flight attendants, I survived,” he told reporters.

    Kristian Kostov, a former Bulgarian Eurovision contestant, has posted on social media about witnessing the incident.

    He said people at the airport were left “shaking” after seeing the aircraft engulfed by fire and said other flights are now unable to take-off.

    Another eyewitness, Patrick Horlacher, told the BBC it was “shocking to see” the plane being ravaged by flames just minutes before he was due to board another flight.

    An investigation has been opened into the incident, reports say.

    Russian President Vladimir Putin has reportedly been briefed and expressed condolences to the families of victims.

    The region of Murmansk has announced a three-day mourning period.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    Terrorists abduct nine Catholic church worshippers in Benue

    Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.