Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Bandits attack customs facility, kill officer in Kebbi

    Bandits abduct traditional ruler in Kwara

    November 29, 2025
    Why Nigeria can’t defeat Boko Haram with guns alone – Bishop Kukah

    Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria

    November 29, 2025
    Takumi Minamino (right) joined Monaco from Liverpool in June 2022

    10-man Monaco stun PSG as Minamino scores winner

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Bandits abduct traditional ruler in Kwara
    • Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria
    • 10-man Monaco stun PSG as Minamino scores winner
    • Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike
    • Bayern Munich trash St Pauli 3-1 after Arsenal defeat
    • Barcelona get dominant 3-1 win against Alaves
    • Foden scores late winner as Man City beat Leeds
    • BREAKING: Tinubu names Reno Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Mahmoud Yakubu, 29 others as ambassadors
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, November 30
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Coronavirus: House of Reps take two weeks break

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 3, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Prof. Muazu Abubakar, Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University, Gusau, denied allegations that the House of Representatives Committee on University Education demanded N480m to approve federal universities' 2025 budgets.
    Nigerian House of Representatives
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The House of Representatives on Tuesday resolved that the National Assembly should suspend plenary for two weeks to enable the management install facilities to screen and detect coronavirus.

    This was sequel to the unanimous adoption of an amendment moved by the Minority Leader Ndudi Elumelu.

    Elumelu moved the amendment while members were debating a motion of Urgent Matters of Public Importance on tackling coronavirus by Rep. Josiah Idem (PDP-Akwa-Ibom) at the plenary.

    Amending the motion, Elumelu said that there were no facilities to check people entering the National Assembly Complex to detect coronavirus.

    He said that anybody infected could walk into the premises, shake hands with people and spread the virus.

    “I urge the leadership of the National Assembly to suspend plenary for two weeks to allow management to sanitise and put facilities in place to detect the virus.

    “Let the Committee on Health and other relevant committees ensure compliance,” he said.

    Moving the motion earlier, Idem said that there was need for the leadership of the assembly to constitute a committee to interface with government to eliminate the virus.

    • Supreme Court dismisses Ihedioha’s review

    He called for the release of more emergency funds to support the Federal Minister of Health to eliminate the novel virus.

    The lawmaker stressed the need to intensify surveillance at all national borders and called for the immediate activation of centres designated for the treatment.

    Idem said that risk communication should be intensified and laboratory services be expanded recommending that two isolation centers should be cited in each geopolitical zones.

    Rep. Inombeck-Awaji Abiante (PDP-Rivers) said that a motion to bring back Nigerians stranded in China was thrown out by the House for fear of importing the virus.

    He said that though the ministry of health assured the public that the country was ready to contain the virus, it had found its way into the country.

    The lawmaker said that it showed that government was not really prepared for the virus as Nigerians were made to believe.

    Rep. Nasir Alliyu (APC-Kano) said that there were only three isolation facilities so far in the country.

    According to him, they are located in Abuja, Lagos and Edo and that the one in Abuja, which has a capacity of less than 30 persons, has not been completed.

    The lawmaker said that with a population of about 200 million, the facilities were grossly inadequate to contain the virus

    “God forbid if we have to quarantine 10,000 persons, what do we do, there is need to get really prepared,” he said.

    Rep. Ibrahim Isiaka (APC-Ogun) said that the place where the infected Italian visited in Ogun was in his constituency after traveling for several kilometres from Lagos.

    He said that what was most disappointing was the fact that he was not detected at entry port.

    The house, therefore, recommended that government should convene an emergency national health conference for all health workers to come together to address the spread of the virus.

    Deputy Speaker Ahmed Wase (APC-Plateau) then mandated all relevant committees of the House to ensure compliance.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Bandits attack customs facility, kill officer in Kebbi

    Bandits abduct traditional ruler in Kwara

    Why Nigeria can’t defeat Boko Haram with guns alone – Bishop Kukah

    Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria

    Resident doctors to get N11.99bn as FG moves to end strike

    Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike

    BREAKING: Tinubu names Reno Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Mahmoud Yakubu, 29 others as ambassadors

    BREAKING: Tinubu names Reno Omokri, Fani-Kayode, Mahmoud Yakubu, 29 others as ambassadors

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Bandits attack customs facility, kill officer in Kebbi

    Bandits abduct traditional ruler in Kwara

    November 29, 2025
    Why Nigeria can’t defeat Boko Haram with guns alone – Bishop Kukah

    Kukah denies Christian genocide in Nigeria

    November 29, 2025
    Takumi Minamino (right) joined Monaco from Liverpool in June 2022

    10-man Monaco stun PSG as Minamino scores winner

    November 29, 2025
    Resident doctors to get N11.99bn as FG moves to end strike

    Resident doctors suspend indefinite strike

    November 29, 2025
    Bayern Munich trash St Pauli 3-1 after Arsenal defeat

    Bayern Munich trash St Pauli 3-1 after Arsenal defeat

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.