Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    • Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack
    • US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Commonwealth Games: Eight African athletes ‘desert’ team

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 11, 2018No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Cameroon weightlifter Arcangeline Fouodji Sonkbou is among the missing athletes at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Cameroon press attache Simon Molombe says weightlifter Arcangeline Fouodji Sonkbou is among the missing athletes at the 2018 Commonwealth Games

    Eight African athletes, all Cameroonian have gone missing from their accommodation at the Commonwealth Games in Australia, team officials have confirmed.

    Press attache Simon Molombe told the BBC officials viewed it as “desertion” and that the missing athletes had been reported to Australian police.



    The three weightlifters and five boxers were last seen at different times on Monday and Tuesday, he said.

    Cameroon said the group had valid Australian visas until 15 May.

    Officials named the missing athletes as weightlifters Olivier Matam Matam, Arcangeline Fouodji Sonkbou and Petit Minkoumba, and boxers Christian Ndzie Tsoye, Simplice Fotsala, Arsene Fokou, Ulrich Yombo and Christelle Ndiang.

    READ: Roma score 3-0 knock Barcelona out of Champions League

    “The authorities are very disappointed with the deserters – some did not even compete,” Mr Molombe said.

    “The pious hope is that they come back to the village and travel home with the others.”

    The Australian government has warned athletes against overstaying their visas.

    The Commonwealth Games Federation said it would monitor the situation but athletes had “the right to travel freely” on their visas.

    The Australian Federal Police has been notified of the development, according to Kate Jones, a Queensland state government minister.

    In 2012, seven Cameroonian athletes disappeared while in London for the Olympics.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    February 15, 2026
    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.