Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    February 16, 2026
    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    February 16, 2026
    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar
    • Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today
    • 2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging
    • Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Car bomb explodes in Libya’s Benghazi killing two U.N. staff: medics

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 10, 2019No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Car bomb
    Car bomb in Libya
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Car bomb
    Car bomb in Libya

    Two United Nations’ staff have been reportedly killed by a car bomb explosion in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi on Saturday, several medical sources and the eastern military said.

    The U.N. is trying to broker a truce in the capital Tripoli, where the eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA) launched a surprise attack in April.

    A Reuters reporter at a Benghazi hospital where casualties of the blast were taken saw a list of names of those killed identifying them as part of the United Nations Libya mission (UNSMIL).

    LNA spokesman Ahmed Mismari told reporters the two people killed were UNSMIL guards. He added that ten people had been wounded, among them children.

    READ: Buhari, Ramaphosa agree to meet in South Africa over consular, trade issues

    UNSMIL spokesman Jean El Alam said via email that the organization was “in the process of gathering information”.

    The explosion happened in front of a shopping mall and bank. At least one burned out U.N. car could be seen at the scene.

    The LNA has yet to advance beyond the southern suburbs of Tripoli, which is home to the internationally recognized government.

    Around the time of the blast, LNA commander Khalifa Haftar, announced a halt to military operations during the Muslim Eid al-Adha holiday, which lasts from Saturday until Tuesday, according to a statement from his forces in Benghazi.

    On Friday, the government in Tripoli said it had accepted a U.N. proposal for a ceasefire during the holiday period.

    However, it was not clear whether fighting in the capital would actually cease. More than 105,000 people have been displaced during the clashes, according to the United Nations.

    UNSMIL will be responsible for monitoring any violations, the Tripoli government said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    February 16, 2026
    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    February 16, 2026
    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    February 16, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.