Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    • Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack
    • US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    NARTO rejects truck ban, says it will reduce fuel supply to North

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoFebruary 24, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    India diesel imports hit record high as West Africa struggles to refine fuel
    Fuel tankers
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Nigerian Association of Road Transport Owners (NARTO) has expressed concern over the potential impact of the Federal Government’s impending ban on large tankers carrying over 60,000 liters of petroleum products.

    The prohibition, which will go into effect on March 1, 2025, was announced last week in response to the frequent accidents and explosions caused by overloaded trucks, which have killed 493 people in the last three years.

    NARTO’s National President, Yusuf Othman, told one of our correspondents that the limitation will reduce the supply of petroleum products, especially in Northern Nigeria, which relies significantly on supplies transported from Southern depots.

    “The ban, which takes effect from March 1, 2025, will prevent trucks carrying more than 60,000 liters from loading at depots and travelling on federal roads. By October 1, 2025, the restriction will be further reduced to 45,000 liters per truck,” the NARTO president explained.

    He stated that NARTO is analyzing the situation and working closely with its members to estimate the possible financial losses, which might exceed N300 billion in investments.

    Othman also raised concern about the livelihoods of about 2,000 drivers, 2,000 motorboys, and their families, who may be directly impacted by the changes.

    He mentioned that the association is also considering the option of reducing the capacity of the affected tanker through fabrication.

    “We are exploring options such as fabricating smaller tankers to comply with the new regulations. We are also looking into how we can tap into the federal government’s policy on compressed natural gas and associated infrastructure development,” Othman said.

    “In a few days, we will have a clearer position on the matter, but for now, we have taken the government’s directive in good faith.”

    However, Othman expressed alarm about the status of the country’s roadways, which he feels play a big influence in tanker accidents.

    “We have asked the government what measures they are taking to improve the condition of our roads, as this is another factor contributing to fuel tanker accidents,” he said.

    Regarding the probable impact of the restriction on fuel distribution, Othman stated that the volume of delivery to remote locations in northern Nigeria will most certainly fall due to truck capacity constraints.

    The NARTO president warned that this could result in price swings caused by the fundamental principle of supply and demand.

    “The deregulation of the sector has already made market dynamics unpredictable. It’s difficult to forecast all the possible outcomes, but there will undoubtedly be an effect on the volume and cost of fuel distribution,” Othman concluded.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    Terrorists abduct nine Catholic church worshippers in Benue

    Terrorists kidnap four in fresh Kwara attack

    US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism

    US troops, military aircraft touch down in Nigeria for counter-terrorism

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    February 15, 2026
    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.