Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    February 17, 2026
    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Mirabel: Lady raped, culprit mocks her on TikTok

    February 17, 2026
    ICPC recovers over N20bn paid to ghost workers as pensions in 2024

    ICPC arraigns works ministry director over money laundering

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home
    • Mirabel: Lady raped, culprit mocks her on TikTok
    • ICPC arraigns works ministry director over money laundering
    • NDPC probes Temu over Nigeria data protection breach
    • Court remands killers of South Africa based Nigerian student
    • UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians
    • Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest
    • Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Boko Haram, ISWAP clash in Sambisa as NAF moves to buy US attack helicopters

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJanuary 9, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    75 killed as terrorists storm Kwara communities
    A file photo of terrorists
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Fresh infighting between rival jihadist factions, Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), has left scores of fighters dead following days of intense clashes in Borno State’s Sambisa Forest and Mandara Mountains.

    Security sources said the violence erupted on 3 January when ISWAP launched coordinated assaults on Boko Haram camps around the Ali Ngulde axis of the Mandara Mountains. The offensive, reportedly led by ISWAP commanders Jundullah and Ibn Hataf, initially met fierce resistance.

    Boko Haram fighters, under the coordination of a field commander identified as Abu-Rijal, also known as Ba-Sulhu, mounted counter-attacks that inflicted heavy losses on ISWAP. Dozens of ISWAP fighters were reportedly killed in the early stages, with several others captured. Weapons, including rifles, a machine gun and assorted ammunition, were also seized.

    The momentum of the fighting, however, shifted days later. On 6 January, ISWAP fighters reportedly launched a retaliatory strike on a Boko Haram position in the Sabil Huda axis. The clash, which lasted several hours, was said to have claimed the lives of at least 12 Boko Haram fighters, with additional weapons falling into ISWAP hands.

    The renewed violence triggered the displacement of Boko Haram-affiliated families, including women and children, who fled affected camps to areas around the Yale General axis. Sources said limited night operations were carried out to track fleeing fighters, though no further confirmed clashes had been recorded by midweek.

    • Ahmad Gumi claims he was marked for elimination as Boko Haram figure

    Meanwhile, amid ongoing security challenges in the North-East, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has moved to fast-track the acquisition of 12 AH-1Z attack helicopters from the United States.

    As part of the process, the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sunday Aneke, led a Programme Management Review meeting with senior United States government officials and representatives of Bell Textron from 5 to 6 January in San Diego, California.

    Aneke expressed appreciation to the US government and Bell Textron for their cooperation, professionalism and transparency, describing the review as a reflection of the NAF’s commitment to discipline, accountability and results. He said the helicopter acquisition goes beyond a platform upgrade, underscoring the depth of Nigeria’s enduring defence cooperation with the United States.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Mirabel: Lady raped, culprit mocks her on TikTok

    ICPC recovers over N20bn paid to ghost workers as pensions in 2024

    ICPC arraigns works ministry director over money laundering

    NDPC probes Temu over Nigeria data protection breach

    NDPC probes Temu over Nigeria data protection breach

    Court remands killers of South Africa based Nigerian student

    Court remands killers of South Africa based Nigerian student

    UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians

    UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    February 17, 2026
    Rapist: Lagos seeks help to locate victim raped in her home

    Mirabel: Lady raped, culprit mocks her on TikTok

    February 17, 2026
    ICPC recovers over N20bn paid to ghost workers as pensions in 2024

    ICPC arraigns works ministry director over money laundering

    February 17, 2026
    NDPC probes Temu over Nigeria data protection breach

    NDPC probes Temu over Nigeria data protection breach

    February 17, 2026
    Court remands killers of South Africa based Nigerian student

    Court remands killers of South Africa based Nigerian student

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.