Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Big blow to Republicans as US House Speaker Paul Ryan quits

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorApril 11, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Speaker of US House of Reps Paul Ryan says he will not seek reelection
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Speaker of US House of Reps Paul Ryan says he will not seek reelection

    US House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan will not run for re-election this year, in a big blow to Republicans ahead of autumn’s mid-term elections.

    A spokesman for Congress’ most powerful lawmaker confirmed he would not stand for another term in his Wisconsin district this November.



    A source close to Mr Ryan told the BBC his decision was family-related.

    Republicans are already facing a tough challenge from Democrats to retain control of Congress’ lower chamber.

    A statement from his adviser, Brendan Buck, said: “This morning Speaker Ryan shared with his colleagues that this will be his last year as a member of the House.

    “He will serve out his full term, run through the tape, and then retire in January.

    “After nearly twenty years in the House, the speaker is proud of all that has been accomplished and is ready to devote more of his time to being a husband and father.

    READ: 257 dead in military plane crash in Algeria

    “While he did not seek the position, he told his colleagues that serving as speaker has been the professional honour of his life, and he thanked them for the trust they placed in him.”

    The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee said Mr Ryan’s departure was an ominous sign for Republicans, months away from nationwide elections.

    “Stay tuned for more retirements as Republicans increasingly realise that their midterm prospects are doomed,” the fundraising committee added.

    Paul Ryan will go down in history as the Speaker who forced the most toxic agenda on the American people, then left them to clean up his mess.

    Because even he sees the writing on the wall: The House is Democrats' for the taking. pic.twitter.com/tB423kN0vv

    — DCCC (@dccc) April 11, 2018

    The resignation of Mr Ryan – whose role as House speaker places him second in line to the president – will spark speculation about whether he could mount a White House campaign.

    The clean-cut conservative, who has served in the House since 1999, was the vice-presidential running mate for Mitt Romney in 2012.

    According to Axios, the 48-year-old father-of-three has found his job frustrating, partly because of President Donald Trump.

    Mr Trump praised the speaker on Twitter, saying he “is a truly good man”.

    “He will leave a legacy of achievement that nobody can question. We are with you Paul!” he added.

    In December he achieved his long-held goal of overhauling the US tax code, and according to Axios, felt satisfied enough with that achievement to leave.

    Reacting to the news, conservative congressman Jim Jordan told Fox News it was too early to decide who would replace Mr Ryan.

    Steve Scalise and Kevin McCarthy are among the Republican congressmen whose names are being touted to step up as replacements.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.