Author: Vincent Osuwo

Argentina : Messi says 'I’ll play in World Cup only if I can contribute'

Inter Miami forward Lionel Messi will play in his sixth World Cup, captaining Argentina in 2026. The forward, who will be 39 during the tournament, was chosen in Lionel Scaloni’s 26-man team on Thursday after leading his country to a third World Cup success in Qatar four years ago with a penalty shootout victory over France. Messi now holds the record for the most World Cup appearances by any player, with 26. He will be joined by Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo, 41, as the only male players to compete in the sixth edition of football’s biggest event this summer. The…

Read More
Barcelona sign Gordon in £69m deal from Newcastle

Anthony Gordon said he knew he’d play for Barcelona since he was “three years of age” after arriving from Newcastle United in a move worth more than 80 million euros (£69.3 million). The 25-year-old England forward has signed a contract with the La Liga winners until 2031 after the two clubs agreed on a fee during advanced talks earlier this week—and amid interest from Bayern Munich. “I was excited to play for Barca since I was three years of age,” said Gordon, who spoke in Spanish during Friday’s presentation at the Spotify Camp Nou. “I wanted to speak Spanish because,…

Read More
President Tinubu approves N10 billion emergency funding and establishes a task force to strengthen Nigeria’s Ebola preparedness and response systems.

President Bola Tinubu stated on Friday that Nigeria’s economy is recovering, with states no longer relying on federal government interventions to pay workers’ salaries. Tinubu made the remark on Friday while receiving members of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum, led by Vice President Kashim Shettima, on a Sallah homage at his Lagos residence. Speaking on his journey to the presidency, the president described the process as difficult and marked by political and legal challenges. Tinubu said, “At the time, I faced the challenge of trying to become the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. “It was very, very challenging. It…

Read More
US cracks down on non-consensual AI-generated intimate images

The US warned on Saturday it was “more than capable” of resuming war with Iran after President Donald Trump noted that any peace deal must adhere to his red lines, including Tehran never being able to develop nuclear weapons. After weeks of confusing signals in tense negotiations, the White House indicated that Trump was close to reaching an initial agreement, though Tehran denied there was a final agreement to resolve the Middle East conflict, which has rattled the global economy. US sources told AFP that the deal was awaiting Trump’s approval, but the president had made no decision following a…

Read More
Ramaphosa condemns vigilante attacks amid anti-foreigner protests in South Africa

The Nigerian community in South Africa has disclosed that at least 105 Nigerians have been killed in the country during the last seven years, as a result of xenophobic attacks against migrants. This is stated in a statement signed by the community’s leaders, Smart Nwobi and Frank Onyekwelu from the Nigerian Union South Africa and the Nigerian Citizens Association South Africa, respectively. The remark disputed a South African Broadcasting Corporation report ascribed to South Africa’s Department of International Relations and Cooperation, which maintained that migrants were not being killed in South Africa. “Denying or minimizing the concerns raised by migrant…

Read More
Trump renews bid to restrict US birthright citizenship with new orders

US President Donald Trump stated Friday that he was considering a potential deal with Iran, but Tehran reiterated there was still “no final agreement” to stop the Middle East war. A report from Iran’s Fars news agency also refuted numerous important aspects of Trump’s portrayal of the deal, quoting informed sources as labeling his remarks a “mixture of truth and lies.” US sources told AFP that the deal was just waiting for Trump’s approval after weeks of stalled discussions to end a conflict that has enveloped the Middle East and shook the global economy. Trump held a two-hour discussion in…

Read More
Trump vows use of frozen Iranian assets to fund damage Iran Strait ships

President Donald Trump will only strike a peace deal with Iran if Tehran meets all of his conditions, a White House official told AFP after the US president met with aides to discuss a potential agreement. “The Situation Room meeting has concluded and lasted approximately two hours. President Trump will only make a deal that is good for America and satisfies his red lines,” the White House official said on condition of anonymity. “Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon.” Trump had earlier stated that he had ordered US negotiators “not to rush into a deal” with Iran, amid growing…

Read More
Donald Trump announces new US green card application policy affecting Nigerians and other foreign nationals.

US President Donald Trump’s doctor declared he was in “excellent health” but encouraged him to lose weight, according to a memo released on Friday following a regular medical exam. “President Trump remains in excellent health, demonstrating strong cardiac, pulmonary, neurological, and overall physical function. “Preventative counseling was provided, including guidance on diet, a recommendation to take a low-dose aspirin, increased physical activity, and continued weight loss,” said Trump’s doctor, US Navy Captain Sean Barbabella. The three-page report summarizes Trump’s physical examination and diagnostic testing at Walter Reed Medical Hospital near Washington on Tuesday. Barbabella stated that Trump was “fully fit…

Read More
Atlético reject Real Madrid's £130m bid for Alvarez

Atletico Madrid aimed a mocking dig at La Liga rivals Barcelona over their “smear campaign” in pursuit of Julian Alvarez. In a series of messages that became increasingly heated amid the transfer battle, Atletico accused Barcelona of using political favors to register players. Chronicle NG reports that Barcelona have opened talks to sign the Argentina forward, with an agreement in place for the 26-year-old. However, Atletico are likely to turn down the 90m euros (£77.9m). Barcelona are expected to offer—and so the Madrid club’s barrage of social media posts on Friday evening proved. Firstly, they laid out their proposal for…

Read More
Barcelona sign Gordon in £69m deal from Newcastle

Barcelona completed the signing of Anthony Gordon from Newcastle United on Friday in a deal worth over 80 million euros ($93 million). Gordon will sign for “the next five seasons, until June 30, 2031,” Barcelona announced in a terse statement. The 25-year-old left winger scored 17 goals for Newcastle this season, including 10 in the Champions League, and was the club’s leading scorer. Gordon, a member of England’s World Cup squad, strengthens Barcelona’s assault, which will lose Polish veteran striker Robert Lewandowski at the end of his contract and probably Marcus Rashford following his loan term from Manchester United. La…

Read More