- Court remands killers of South Africa based Nigerian student
- UK rolls out digital visit visas for Nigerians
- Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest
- Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup
- Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
- El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
- ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
- Social network X restored after global outage
Author: Michael Right
Cases of cholera in Malawi have more than tripled in the last two months as authorities struggle to contain an outbreak that has killed more than 117 people so far. The UN says that cases across the country have jumped from 1,000 to more than 4,200 since August. The first case of the disease, which spreads mainly through contaminated food and water, was reported in March in southern Malawi. But the disease has now spread to 22 of Malawi’s 28 districts. Experts have warned that the situation could be worsened by the onset of the rainy season in November. Seven…
A Lagos High Court sitting at Tafawa Balewa Square on Tuesday watched the video recording of lifeless body of the Chief Executive Officer of Super TV, Usifo Ataga, allegedly murdered on June 15, 2021. An undergraduate, Chidinma Ojukwu, and one Adedapo Quadri are standing trial for Ataga’s murder. They were arraigned alongside Ojukwu’s sister, Chioma Egbuchu, accused of stealing Ataga’s iPhone 7. Ataga’s body was seen in the video lying on the ground facing up, with his hands spread. He was wearing a white singlet and a boxer’s short all stained with blood. His head was close to a wall…
Manchester City striker Erling Haaland, 22, has a 200m euros release clause that kicks in from summer 2024. Manager Pep Guardiola said the Norway international did not have one “for Real Madrid or any other team” but the clause applies to any club outside England. (Athletic – subscription required) France striker Kylian Mbappe will cost between 300-350m euros if any club wants to buy him, although Paris St-Germain have no intention of selling the 23-year-old after reports arose that he wants to leave them in January. (Telegraph – subscription required) Tottenham Hotspur forward and England captain Harry Kane, 29, says he is “focused” on Spurs amid speculation he…
The budgetary allocation to the Presidential Air Fleet has risen by 121% in 8 years. Findings indicate that the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) has since 2016 allocated N81.80bn for the Presidential Air Fleet maintenance and foreign trips. The amount includes N62.47bn for the operation and maintenance of PAF, N17.29bn for foreign and local trips and N2.04bn earmarked for other related expenses. The Presidency has maintained 10 aircraft since the inception of the Buhari regime in May 2015. They include Boeing Business Jet (Boeing 737-800 or NAF 001), one Gulfstream 550, one Gulfstream V (Gulfstream 500), two Falcons 7X,…
The United States of America has returned 23 looted Benin artefacts to Nigeria. The Benin Bronzes were handed over to a Nigerian delegation at a ceremony on Tuesday in Washington. Nigeria’s Minister of Information and Culture Lai Mohammed, who received the artefacts, hailed the US and its institutions for the repatriation of the “highly-cherished” cultural artworks. “These artefacts are intrinsic to the culture that produced them. A people ought not be denied the works of their forebears. It is in the light of this that we are delighted with today’s repatriation,” he said. Germany hands over Benin Bronzes to Nigeria…
Nigeria has opened a new office in Cairo, Egypt, to provide visa application, passport, Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) and National Identity Number (NIN) services in the country. The Executive Assistant to the President on Nigeria-Egypt Cultural and Socio-Economic Forum (NESCEF), Abdul-Razaq Musa, made this known in a statement made available to newsmen on Monday in Abuja. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that the Centre was opened as part of activities of the ongoing Nigeria–Egypt Trade Conference and Exhibition (NETCE) holding in Cairo, Egypt, from Oct. 10 to Oct. 11. According to Musa, the centre will facilitate administrative tasks related to…
A Lagos State Special Offences Court, Ikeja, has convicted and sentenced an Italian woman, Floriana De Stefani, to three years’ imprisonment for laying claim to property belonging to a company, Waterside Properties Limited. Justice Mojisola Dada, who handed down the verdict on Friday, gave her a fine option of N50m. According to the court, the widow used forged documents to claim where she was a tenant following the demise of her husband, Mr Luca Signorelli. She was found guilty of six counts of the charges bordering on the use of false documents and counterfeit seals, which she used to confer ownership…
A vehicle carrying 98 parcels of Cannabis Sativa worth millions of Naira was intercepted by troops of the 159 Task Force Battalion in Geidam, Yobe State. Brig. Gen. Umar Muaza, Chief of Staff, Sector Operation Hadin Kai, Damaturu, revealed this to reporters on Monday, at the presentation of the exhibits to representatives of the National Drug Law Endorsement Agency (NDLEA) in the state. He claimed that, the courier who was transporting the illegal substances got out of his car and ran away when he spotted troops on patrol. Ogar Peter, who received the 98 intercepted packages on behalf of the…
The presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, has claimed the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) can never return to power. Tinubu stated this on Monday while speaking at the inauguration of the APC women’s campaign council in Abuja. The former Lagos state governor described the PDP as a party of “termites”. The APC presidential candidate also said the PDP would not be able to take power, owing to their rudderless leadership. APC tackles PDP for calling Tinubu’s candidacy illegal “Our opponents spent 16 years, they had forgotten that the highway is an economy, electricity is mandatory…
Operatives of Delta State Police Command have arrested three nurses at a private hospital (name withheld) in Asaba over the alleged removal of the eyes, nose and ear of a deceased newborn baby. It was learned that the hospital had released the deceased child on Sunday after he was confirmed dead by a paediatric, but was, however, brought back, yesterday, by the parents who alleged the removal of the human parts. A source at the hospital said: “The parents brought the child to the hospital on Sunday evening, immediately our children’s doctor (paediatric) looked at the child and confirmed the child…












