Author: Opalim Lifted

2023 first baby of the year

Amid fanfare, Chairman of Apapa Local Government in Lagos, Idowu Senbanjo, has presented cash and gifts to the first Baby-of-the-year. The infant was born at Primary Health Centre, Ijora, at 6:25 am on January 1. It weighed 3kg. Gifts include clothes, cabinet, diapers, clothes dryers and a baby bed with net Senbanjo described the infant as a bundle of joy to the family and the council. The council boss congratulated the child’s parents, Mr and Mrs AbdulGaniu for the gift of life. She prayed that God would protect and provide for the upkeep of the child. Woman arrested for beheading…

Read More
'Like tsunami', IMF warns AI to affect 40% of jobs globally

A third of the global economy will face recession this year, Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Kristalina Georgieva, has warned. Georgieva, who gave the warning at the weekend in a chat with CBS, an American broadcast television and radio network, noted that economic activities in the United States (U.S.), the European Union and China are crawling simultaneously. She said: “We expect one-third of the world economy to be in recession. Half of the European Union (EU) will be in a recession this year.” Georgieva further explained that the rapid spread of COVID-19 in China, especially now that…

Read More
Liverpool dominated possession but were too often wasteful

Liverpool missed the chance to reduce the gap to the Premier League’s top four as Brentford punished their defensive frailties in a deserved victory at the Community Stadium. In a desperate first half, Liverpool shipped two poor goals amid an inspired performance from the hosts. In a desperate first half, Liverpool shipped two poor goals amid an inspired performance from the hosts. The opener came when Ibrahima Konate deflected a corner into his own net after 19 minutes. Liverpool were unable to deal with Brentford’s set-pieces, conceding twice more from corners in the first half only for both goals to…

Read More
Uganda's New Year concert crush kill 10 children

Police in Uganda have arrested the high-profile events organiser behind a New Year concert that ended in a crush killing 10 people, mostly children. Abbey Musinguzi, also known as Abitex, is a much sought-after promoter. The crush occurred as the crowd rushed to the venue’s parking lot to watch a fireworks display at midnight in the capital, Kampala. Only one of the four exits at the Freedom City mall was open at the time, police spokesman Fred Enanga said. “The revellers had one point of entry and exit. Therefore several victims were trapped and trampled upon through the narrow passage…

Read More
Boko Haram

At least 20 people have been killed in Somalia’s breakaway region of Somaliland in clashes between anti-government protesters and security forces over several days, according to a doctor at a public hospital. For more than a week police and the military have been battling the protesters in Laascaanood, a town in Somaliland’s east which is disputed between Somaliland and neighbouring Puntland, one of Somalia’s semi-autonomous regions. Mohamed Farah, a doctor at Laascaanood Hospital, a public facility in Laascaanood, told Reuters at least 20 people had been killed and dozens injured. He said he had seen the bodies of victims brought…

Read More
Cholera

Malawi has delayed the opening of public schools in the southern African country’s two major cities of Blantyre and Lilongwe, the health minister said Monday, to try to slow down a surge in cholera deaths. The total number of cases and deaths has accelerated to 17,824 and 595 respectively since cases were first reported in March, with the mortality rate increasing to 3.34 per cent, according to the Health Ministry. Cholera is an annual problem during Malawi’s rainy months from November to March, where the number of deaths is around 100 a year. But the current outbreak is expcted to…

Read More
Tinubu not forcing govs decamp to APC - Morka

The All Progressives Congress Committee of Diaspora Chairmen (APC-CDC) has affirmed its commitment to mobilise Nigerians to ensure victory for the party’s presidential candidate, Sen. Bola Tinubu, in the Feb. 25 election. The committee in its New Year message signed by Prof. Adesegun Labinjo and Mr Bola Babarinde, the APC CDC Chairman and General Secretary respectively, said that 2023 would birth renewed hope for all Nigerians. Wishing Nigerians a Happy New Year, the group commended party members in all Diaspora chapters for their commitment, dedication and loyalty which they said would not be taken for granted. “The APC-CDC is 100…

Read More
Private jet overshot the Ibadan airport runway

Queensland Police say initial investigations suggest the crash happened as one aircraft was taking off and the other was landing. Those who died were travelling in the same helicopter. Three other passengers are in a critical condition. Five of the six people on the other aircraft, which made an emergency landing, suffered minor injuries. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the country had been left shocked by the “terrible and tragic incident”. “My thoughts are with all those affected, including first responders, and my deepest sympathies are with those who are grieving,” he said. Insecurity: NASENI to begin production of missiles,…

Read More
Harry and Meghan Markle in Nigeria to promote the Invictus Games

Britain’s Prince Harry said his troubled relationship with the royal family “never needed to be this way” and he wants to get his father King Charles and his brother “back”, in an excerpt from an interview with broadcaster ITV released on Monday. “It never needed to be this way,” he said in the clip. “They’ve shown absolutely no willingness to reconcile,” he said. “I would like to get my father back; I would like to have my brother back.” Harry and his wife Meghan, officially known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, stepped down from royal duties in March…

Read More
Alexx Ekubo's choice of presidential candidate

Alex Ekubo’s ex-lover Fancy Ancholunu has deleted her apology message to him as she said she was tricked into it. Fancy in a statement added that she was no longer under anyone’s control and will now speak freely for herself. Her recent actions have sparked another round of reactions on social media with netizens asking different questions. It appears the drama between Nollywood actor, Alexx Ekubo and his ex-lover Fancy Acholonu may not be ending anytime soon. This comes as Fancy has taken down her apology post to the actor while dismissing the reports of them being back together. Alex…

Read More