- US lawmaker blasts Nigeria over deadly Plateau killings
- Tottenham suffer embarrassing 3-0 against Brentford
- 15 migrants missing after boat sinks off Tunisia coast
- Infantino asked to steer clear of youth tournament
- Messi fined for slapping opponent in MLS match
- Newly promoted Hull City stun Man United 2-0 in EPL clash
- Police vehicle crash kills many in Uk
- Father tells police IG to kill son over cultism
Author: Opalim Lifted
The UN mission in Libya advised against “unilateral initiatives” to resolve the country’s political impasse on Thursday, after two parliamentary bodies recommended forming a new temporary administration as a prelude to elections. The UN wants a clear path to elections as part of a long-term solution to Libya’s 12-year-long conflict, while opponents of the current Tripoli administration want to focus on removing it before any national poll. “Unilateral actions, like similar attempts in the past, could have serious negative consequences for Libya and spark further instability and violence,” the United Nations mission warned in a statement referring to the parliamentary…
Travis Scott’s show at Egypt’s Pyramids has been cancelled, according to promoter Live Nation Middle East, citing production concerns. Travis Scott, Astroworld organisers sued for $750m “Complex production issues meant that the show could not be constructed in the desert,” Live Nation said in a social media post. The Egyptian musicians’ syndicate had earlier cancelled the licence for his Friday concert, which was scheduled to coincide with the release of his most recent album. The syndicate also banned the Lebanese band Mashrou Leila in 2017 when rainbow flags in support of the LGBTQ community were flown at its gigs. In…
Niger’s President Mohamed Bazoum went to social media on Thursday to make a bold pledge to defend “hard-won” democratic advances, a day after being deposed in a military coup. Hassoumi Massoudou, the country’s foreign minister, also made a rallying cry on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, urging “all Democrats and Patriots” to help put an end to the coup. Their declarations came after troops announced on national television late Wednesday night that Bazoum had been deposed and all institutions of the republic had been suspended, marking the seventh coup in West and Central Africa since 2020. Members of…
Kenya’s opposition staged candlelight vigils in key cities on Wednesday in memory of the more than two dozen people killed and dozens injured during protests this month over high living costs and tax rises imposed in June. Raila Odinga, the opposition leader, has regularly advocated for acts of civil disobedience against a government he accuses of rising living costs and consolidating control. He leads the Azimio la Umoja (Declaration of Unity) alliance, which organised five rallies earlier this month, generating considerable disruption and, in some cases, violent clashes with police. “Kenyans have been subjected to horror and terror in recent…
Singapore is scheduled to execute a woman for the first time in over 20 years, human rights activists said. Saridewi Djamani, a Singaporean national, was found guilty of trafficking 30 grammes (1.06oz) of heroin in 2018. She will be the 15th drug offender to be killed since March 2022, after fellow Singaporean Mohd Aziz bin Hussain. Lion City has some of the strictest anti-drug regulations in the world, which it claims are vital to safeguarding society. Aziz was found guilty of smuggling 50 grammes of heroin. Lion City legislation allows for the death penalty for trafficking more than 15 grammes…
Salihu Lukman, the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC)’s national vice chairman (North West), has resigned. In a letter dated July 26 and delivered to the party’s acting national chairman, Senator Abubakar Kyari, Lukman, a member of the APC National Working Committee (NWC), claimed he quit because the climate in the party is at odds with the goal of its founding fathers. However, Lukman rejected it, claiming that nominating Ganduje for the position before the party’s convention was insensitive. He has previously stated that replacing ex-Governor Abdullahi Ganduje with Senator Abdullahi Adamu, former National Chairman of the governing party, would be…
The Department of State Service (DSS) has launched an investigation into the officers clash with Nigeria Correctional Services at the Federal High Court, Ikoyi, Lagos, over the custody of suspended former Central Bank of Nigeria governor Godwin Emefiele. Peter Afunanya, DSS PRO, revealed this in a statement on Wednesday. The public will recall that Mr. Godwin Emefiele, suspended CBN Governor, was arraigned at the Federal High Court, Ikoyi, Lagos, on July 25, 2023. The Service has noted the incident that took place between its staff and those of the Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) and wishes to state as follows: i.…
The 10th Senate has completely criticized the Southeast sit-at-home order and the unscrupulous operations of a renowned gang leader, Simon Ekpa. It also calls on the federal government to work with the Finnish authorities to extradite Simon Ekpa for trial. The resolutions are a follow-up to a motion presented by Sen. Osita Izunaso, red chamber presiding officers, and all senators from the southeast geopolitical zone that detailed the human and economic damages caused by the unconstitutional sit-at-home order. The Senate demands that relevant parties conduct a comprehensive inquiry to bring the other sponsors to justice.
The Federal Government announced on Tuesday that the country’s health budget would be boosted by 10%. Dr. Salma Anas, Special Adviser to the President on Health, made the announcement during the Gate Field 2023 Summit in Abuja. Anas emphasized President Bola Tinubu’s administration’s commitment to enhancing healthcare systems and increasing Nigerians’ well-being in order to boost productivity. According to her, the president’s consistent support would promote the development of novel techniques to ensure and produce money for the country’s healthcare sector. “The President said he will increase the allocation for health to begin at 10% of the total budgetary allocation,…
The Federal Government (FG) distanced itself from media reports of tuition increases at various federal colleges around the country on Wednesday, emphasizing that the country’s federal universities continue to be tuition-free. In a nine-paragraph statement, presidential spokesperson Dele Alake stated that several universities had just recently announced “discretionary charges” for hostel accommodation, registration, and laboratory services, among other things. “These reports are inaccurate and incorrect,” Alake claims. We are aware that certain institutions have announced an increase in the amount owed by students on different charges in recent weeks. “However, the fact remains, and we have confirmed that these are…











