Author: Opalim Lifted

NYSC members call for January allowance

Governor Ademola Adeleke has called for an immediate reform of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) to effect an institutionalized public-private partnership in the management of the service. He made the suggestion when the director-general of the NYSC, Brigadier General Yushau Ahmed, visited him in his office in Osogbo, the state capital. Adeleke said the present structure and model of the National Youth Service Corps are unsustainable considering the prevailing fiscal state of the nation. While describing the NYSC as a gemstone for the Nigerian state, the governor appealed for a reform of the service to expand the private sector,…

Read More
IPOB: Southeast to observe a sit at home on May

The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has warned Ndigbo not to protest against economic hardship that has befallen the land, noting that southerners have gone through the worst economic crisis during the war. The organisation made this known in a statement on Tuesday. Going spiritual, Emma Powerful, the spokesperson of the organisation said that the current hardship in the country is as a result of the injustices against the Igbo during and after the war. He cautioned “the Igbo not to join in any protest against hunger in the country. Any Nigerian agent who dares to organize any protest in…

Read More
Stacks of cement bags displayed for sale at a building materials market in Nigeria.

The federal government has said cement manufacturers are not doing enough to stem the rising cost of cement in the country. The government said it would not accept a situation where the price of essential building materials like cement continues to rise uncontrollably. A press statement signed by the special adviser on media to the minister of housing and urban development, Mark Chieshe, revealed that his principal,Ahmed Dangiwa, relayed the message when he summoned cement manufacturers to a meeting at the ministry’s headquarters in Abuja yesterday. Dangiwa expressed displeasure over the steady, recurring, and alarming increase in the prices of…

Read More
Erling Haaland has scored 23 goals in the Premier League this season

Erling Haaland scored a vital winner 19 minutes from time as Manchester City eventually broke Brentford’s stubborn resistance to close to within a point of the Premier League summit. What looked set to be a night of frustration at Etihad Stadium for Pep Guardiola’s men turned into a moment of huge fortune. Brentford defender Kristoffer Ajer appeared to have the situation under control when Julian Alvarez played a pass into the visitors’ half as City countered. But as Haaland began the chase, Ajer slipped and could not regain his feet as the Norwegian sped past. The 23-year-old kept his cool…

Read More
Davido announced as a 2026 inductee into the Black Music and Entertainment Walk of Fame in Atlanta, Georgia.

Afrobeat singer and grammy nominee David Adeleke, better known as Davido, has announced a 300 million naira donation to orphanage homes across Nigeria. The donation signifies an increase of 50 million naira from the singer’s November 2021 gift of 250 million naira to orphanage homes in commemoration of his 29th birthday. In a post on his verified X, formerly Twitter, handle on Tuesday, the afrobeat singer stated that the details of the disbursement will be made known to the public on Wednesday. “I and my foundation pledge the sum of 300 million Naira to orphanages around Nigeria… as my yearly…

Read More
AFCON 2025 begins in Morocco today with $7m prize at stake

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has reached an agreement in principle for the 2025 Cup of Nations (AFCON) to be played in July and August next year in Morocco. Earlier this month, CAF president Patrice Motsepe refused to confirm the dates of the next Africa Cup of Nations, leaving organisers with little time to stage a qualifying competition were it to be held in January and February. However, playing it in June and July next year would mean a clash with FIFA’s expanded Club World Cup, which is due to take place in North America. A member of the…

Read More
Tinubu promises to revive unfunctional refineries

Popular Nollywood actor, Seun Jimoh on Monday urged the Bola Tinubu administration to declare a state of emergency on food production. The actor made this appeal in a post on his official Instagram page while reacting to the level of hardship in the country. “Dear Nigerian government, it’s time to declare a state of emergency on food production. The only time there should be famine in the land is if there is a war or there are no arable lands. There is no reason why food should be scarce in Nigeria,” he wrote. Tinubu declares state of emergency on food,…

Read More
Napoli gaffer, Francesco Calzona has also had spells as assistant at Perugia, Empoli and Cagliari

Napoli have sacked manager Walter Mazzarri after just three months in charge and replaced him with Slovakia boss Francesco Calzona. Mazzarri succeeded Rudy Garcia in November and departs with the Italian champions ninth in Serie A. Reports in Italy say Calzona has signed a contract until the end of the season and will remain in charge of Slovakia. Owner Aurelio de Laurentiis thanked Mazzarri for “having helped the team in a tricky period”. Napoli host Barcelona in a Champions League last-16 first-leg tie on Wednesday. Osimhen to arrive Napoli Wednesday Calzona was appointed Slovakia boss in August 2022 and helped…

Read More
Guardiola joined Man City in 2016

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has apologised to Kalvin Phillips for saying the midfielder was overweight when he returned from the 2022 World Cup. He told reporters that Phillips was not in the right condition to go through training sessions after returning from Qatar, where he was used for only 40 minutes in two substitute appearances in England’s campaign. Phillips endured a wretched time at City after signing from Leeds United in 2022, making only six starts in 18 months, and the 28-year-old joined West Ham United on loan last month. After making the switch to West Ham, the midfielder…

Read More
Lion kills worker in Obasanjo's library zoo

The Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) community was on Monday thrown into mourning after a lion at the school’s zoo killed a veterinary technologist, Olabode Olawuyi. The victim, who has been in charge of the Zoological Garden for over a decade, was attacked on Monday afternoon when he was feeding the nine-year-old male lion and its mates in their den, OAU spokesman, Abiodun Olarewaju disclosed. The other members of staff who were at the scene of the incident did everything within their power to rescue their boss, but the wild cat had already caused severe fatalities, Olarewaju said. On hearing the…

Read More