- US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
- National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
- Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar
- Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today
- 2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging
- Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe
- Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
- Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
Author: Chronicle Editor
The association of music band owners, AMBON has concluded plans to officially unveil itself to the public come 24 April 2018. The launch which is a unique in Nigeria’s entertainment industry will take place at the Ibru Waterfront Garden on Louis Solomon Close, Victoria Island, Lagos. In a statement by the group’s president, Akin Tofowomo, the body is being unveiled to showcase the competent and versatile members in its fold and also position the group as a serious professional music group that is out to make a difference. Mr Tofowomo said said the music band group wants other band groups…
Chelsea maintained their push for a top-four finish in the Premier League with a 2-1 victory at European hopefuls Burnley thanks to Victor Moses’ winner. Kevin Long’s own goal set Antonio Conte’s men on their way in the first half, but Ashley Barnes deflected Johann Berg Gudmundsson’s wayward shot to give the hosts hope of earning a point at Turf Moor. Victor Moses’ right-footed shot into the bottom corner proved decisive and ensured the Blues, who trailed fourth-placed Tottenham by 10 points last week, narrowed the gap to five points. Chelsea have the opportunity to increase the pressure on their…
The Presidency of Nigeria has said President Muhammadu Buhari did not mean to deride Nigerian youths in his speech at Commonwealth Business Forum. Buhari’s spokesperson, Femi Adesina, said at the Commonwealth Business Forum in London on Wednesday, April 18, 2018, Buhari gave a keynote address on Making Business Easier Between Commonwealth Countries. The presentation was followed by a discussion, and question and answer session. Responding to a question, President Buhari had cause to talk about some Nigerian youths, and he said: “We have a very young population; our population is estimated conservatively to be 180 million.” “More than 60 per…
Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso will miss the FA Cup semi-final against Southampton at Wembley on Sunday after being given a three-match ban for violent conduct. The 27-year-old Spanish defender was charged by the Football Association (FA) after a challenge on Shane Long in Saturday’s 3-2 win against the Saints. He will also miss Premier League matches at Burnley on Thursday and Swansea on 28 April. Alonso denied the charge and said such a suspension would be excessive. But this was rejected after an independent commission hearing on Wednesday. READ: Patrick Vieira to replace Wenger at Arsenal, Maurizio Sarri heads to Chelsea…
The Queen of England has appealed to Commonwealth leaders to appoint her son, Prince Charles, to succeed her as their head. She said it was her “sincere wish” that Prince Charles takes over “one day”, as she opened the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in London. The role is not hereditary and will not pass automatically to the Prince of Wales on the Queen’s death. The 53 leaders, gathered at Buckingham Palace, are to make a decision on the succession on Friday, No 10 has said. Addressing the gathering of dignitaries, royals and the prime minister, the Queen said…
The Nigerian police have returned the mace stolen by some hoodlums from the Senate on Wednesday after recovering it from under a flyover. The mace was deliver to the Senate by the Deputy Inspector General of Police (Operations), Joshak Habila. He handed it over to the chief security officer of the National Assembly, who then passed it to the Sergeant-at-Arms. The mace has been replaced to its rightful place in the chambers. Nigeria police had said earlier today that it recovered the Senate’s stolen mace and has fortified security at the national assembly following Wednesday’s invasion of the Upper Chamber.…
The bank account of the governor of Ekiti state, Ayodele Fayose has been frozen by an appellate court in Nigeria following an appeal by anti-graft agency, EFCC. In a lead judgment, the Court of Appeal sitting in Ado Ekiti on Thursday, directed the freezing of the account of the Ekiti state governor, Mr. Ayodele Fayose. The court allowed the appeal filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission against the judgment of Justice Taiwo. O Taiwo of Federal High Court, Ado Ekiti division. READ: Nigeria to attract investment with electricity tariff overhaul – NERC Fayose is a member of the…
Nigeria plans to overhaul its electricity tariff system by 2021 to try to attract investment and improve power supply, the vice chairman of the country’s electricity regulator said. Only about half of the 190 million people in Africa’s most populous country have access to power. The problem has been exacerbated by prices that are capped below what it costs to generate and deliver power. Nigeria’s ailing power infrastructure, which forces businesses and households to run costly fuel generators, is often blamed for hobbling growth and is likely to be major issue in campaigning ahead of next February’s presidential election. Sanusi…
Tottenham are considering another move for 21-year-old Leicester City winger Demarai Gray. Spurs wanted to sign Gray last summer but the Foxes refused to consider offers for the England Under-21 captain. (ESPN) Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino is interested in Paris St-Germain left-back Layvin Kurzawa, 25, but could face competition from Chelsea for the Frenchman. (Mirror) Lyon and Juventus want to sign Manchester United’s France forward Anthony Martial, 22. (Sun) Arsenal were also considering making a bid for Martial but manager Arsene Wenger has prioritised other areas of his squad to strengthen in the summer. (Evening Standard) Napoli manager Maurizio Sarri…
Nigeria police has recovered the Senate’s stolen mace and has fortified security at the national assembly following Wednesday’s invasion of the Upper Chamber. The police said the mace was abandoned under the flyover before the City Gate in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital. “Sequel to the invasion of the Senate Chambers of the National Assembly, on 18 April, by suspected thugs who disrupted the senate plenary session and carted away the Mace of the Red Chambers, the Inspector General of Police, IGP Ibrahim Idris, immediately instituted a high-powered Police Investigation and Intelligence Team, a statement by SP Aremu Adeniran, deputy police spokesperson…











