Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Peller vows never to marry Nigerian woman, eyes foreign bride

    Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion

    February 21, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel in police custody over false rape claim

    February 21, 2026
    LASEMA, RRS and LASTMA officials were are the scene of the accident in Ojuelegba

    LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion
    • Mirabel in police custody over false rape claim
    • LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos
    • Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom
    • Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today
    • Terrorists kill over 50 in Zamfara
    • Police impose 12-hour lockdown for FCT council elections
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    ASUU Strike: Court to deliver verdict Sept. 19

    David GreatBy David GreatSeptember 16, 2022No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    ASUU says Tinubu has failed in his promise as strike looms
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The National Industrial Court (NIC) on Friday fixed Sept. 19 to deliver ruling on Federal Government’s prayer asking the court to order the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to call off its seven months strike.

    The matter which was first mentioned on Monday was adjourned until Friday for further mention before Justice Polycarp Hamman.

    When the matter came up, Mr J.U.K Igwe SAN informed the court that going by its directive on Monday that the claimant should file its process latest by Tuesday, that they had filed two processes.

    He added that the first one was motion on notice dated and filed Monday for an interlocutory injunction.

    Senator Chris Ngige, Minister of Labour and Productivity
    Senator Chris Ngige, Minister of Labour and Productivity is seeking legal redress in ASUU strike

    Igwe further stated that the claimant also filed on the same date an affidavit of facts in support of the referral sent by the Minister of Labour and Employment.

    He also averred that some questions were raised with a full complement of a written address.

    He also submitted that the defendant had been served with proof of service before the court.

    The counsel said that however, as at the time the court was sitting, he had not received any response from ASUU.

    Igwe proceeded to urge the court to take the applications as it was ripe to be taken, stating that the matter is of national interest and urgent as million of students have been at home since Feb. 14.

    • We are ready to call off strike – ASUU

    Mr Femi Falana, SAN, counsel to ASUU in response acknowledged receiving process from the claimant and stated that they were already filing their reply in the court’s registry.

    Human Rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN)
    Human Rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN)

    Falana added that the Minister of Labour and Employment lacked the power to ask the court in his referral to order the defendant (ASUU) to go back to work.

    He also informed the court that ASUU would be meeting stakeholders in the House of Representative on Sept. 20 to ensure that the matter is resolved.

    Earlier Mr Ebuolu Adegoruwa SAN, counsel to Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP), had raised the issue of joinder and consolidation of the suit, citing section 36 of the 1999 constitution to fair hearing.

    He submitted that the court should invoke the cited section in SERAP’s favour to be joined in the suit as a defendant and urged the court to take his application to that effect before entertaining any other application in the suit

    Adegoruwa said relief 3 of their application is for stay of further proceeding for the court to determine whether or not they will be a party in the suit.

    He added that the process had been served on the claimant on Thursday.

    He proceeded to seek to withdraw an earlier filed process dated Monday and sought to replace it with the one served on Thursday.

    Igwe in response objected to Adegoruwa’s application, stating that he was in receipt of the application he filed on Monday, that was served on them on Thursday by 5 p.m.

    He also argued that it was the same application Adegoruwa was applying to withdraw.

    He said he had not received any process dated Thursday as claimed by Adegoruwa.

    Adegoruwa in response stated that there was proof of service of said application on the Attorney-General of the Federation on Thursday.

    Falana said he was not objecting to Adegoruwa’s application seeking to be joined as a party in the suit and for the suit to be consolidated with the other one filed by SERAP as a claimant.

    The court after listening to the submissions of counsel ruled that the application was not ripe to be taken as it was served at the Attorney- general’s office on Thursday.

    The court in addition stated that the application for interlocutory injunction will be taken first on Sept. 19 by 11am.

    The judge therefore adjourned the matter until Sept. 19, for hearing .

    The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Minister of Labour and Employment on behalf of the Federal Government had filed the matter before the court by way of referral to resolve the issue of the ongoing strike by ASUU.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Peller vows never to marry Nigerian woman, eyes foreign bride

    Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion

    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel in police custody over false rape claim

    LASEMA, RRS and LASTMA officials were are the scene of the accident in Ojuelegba

    LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos

    Cameroon arrests five Nigerian pastor over politician’s abduction

    Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom

    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kill over 50 in Zamfara

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Peller vows never to marry Nigerian woman, eyes foreign bride

    Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion

    February 21, 2026
    Mirabel: Police to arrest, prosecute TikToker over false rape claim

    Mirabel in police custody over false rape claim

    February 21, 2026
    LASEMA, RRS and LASTMA officials were are the scene of the accident in Ojuelegba

    LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos

    February 21, 2026
    Cameroon arrests five Nigerian pastor over politician’s abduction

    Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom

    February 21, 2026
    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    Police impose movement restriction as FCT, Rivers, Kano residents vote today

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.