Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate
    • WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139
    • Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty
    • Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar
    • Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity
    • NDLEA busts N480bn methamphetamine lab in Ogun, arrests three Mexicans
    • Big Wiz: Wizkid becomes first African artiste to reach 11bn Spotify streams
    • NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Arsenal request postponement of north London derby

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 14, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Bukayo Saka was one of three Arsenal players to pick up an injury against Liverpool on Thursday
    Bukayo Saka was one of three Arsenal players to pick up an injury against Liverpool on Thursday
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Arsenal have requested the postponement of Sunday’s north London derby with Tottenham at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium because of a lack of available players.

    The Gunners said they have “reluctantly taken this step” because of injuries, positive Covid-19 cases and players away with their countries at the Africa Cup of Nations.

    The Premier League board will consider Arsenal’s request on Saturday.

    The have been 20 Premier League games postponed this season because of Covid.

    Earlier on Friday it was announced that Burnley’s home game against Leicester City on Saturday has been postponed because of Covid-19 cases and injuries within the Turf Moor side’s camp.

    Premier League rules say a club must play a game if they have 13 outfield players and one goalkeeper available.

    Cedric Soares, Bukayo Saka and Calum Chambers all picked up injuries in Arsenal’s Carabao Cup semi-final first leg draw against Liverpool on Thursday, while Granit Xhaka is suspended after he was sent off in the first half at Anfield.

    • Liverpool frustrated by 10-man Arsenal in first leg

    Mikel Arteta’s side were already without Thomas Partey, Mohamed Elneny, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Nicolas Pepe, who are on international duty in Africa, while Martin Odegaard missed the Liverpool game through illness.

    Speaking at a news conference earlier on Friday, Gunners boss Arteta said he was unsure whether Sunday’s match would go ahead.

    “I don’t know, it’s difficult to say that with total honesty without assessing our players,” said the Spaniard when asked whether he wanted the game postponed.

    “What is today very unlikely, tomorrow is likely to happen. It’s gone the other way for us when we were ready to play a match and it was cancelled twice because the other team had issues so it can go both ways. But our intention is always to play.”

    The Premier League says it assesses requests to postpone matches because of Covid on a “case-by-case basis”.

    In doing so the Premier League board assesses a number of factors, including “the ability of a club to field a team; the status, severity and potential impact of the Covid-19 outbreak at the club; and the ability of the players to safely prepare for and play the match.”

    Speaking on Friday night, former Arsenal defender Matthew Upson told BBC Radio 5 Live: “I sympathise with everyone and I understand the situation but this is where it starts to get a little bit blurry as to what is allowed and what is not.

    “There are a combination of reasons why Arsenal’s squad is so thin, where do you draw the line? It is a really sensible question to ask. It needs real clarity. It needs to be down to Covid but all these other situations happen and you have to deal with it.”

    Former Brighton and Sunderland manger Gus Poyet added: “I think it should be only Covid reasons. It is not clear and that [clarity] is what we all want. What is the rule? The rule should be about Covid cases and then we should be able to say yes or no.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    Dowman

    Dowman makes history as youngest Premier League winner

    Super Eagles of Nigeria players pose for photo before a match.

    Nigeria to face Madagascar, Guinea-Bissau in AFCON 2027 qualifiers

    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Southampton had been looking for an immediate return to the Premier League having been relegated at the end of the 2024-25 season

    FA opens Southampton investigation over Spygate

    May 21, 2026
    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO approves $3.4m for Ebola response in DR Congo, Uganda as death toll hits 139

    May 21, 2026
    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    Police officer threatens to kill anyone who videos him on duty

    May 21, 2026
    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    Tinubu appoints Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar

    May 21, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu speaking at a public event in Nigeria, representing federal government economic policy announcements.

    Tinubu: Fuel subsidy, forex cabals behind rising insecurity

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.