Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    February 20, 2026
    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    • NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara
    • Rooney backs Arsenal to win EPL title over Man City
    • DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25
    • 100-level UniAbuja student goes missing
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    WHO warns of very high global risk from Omicron

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 30, 2021No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    WHO DG, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus providing coronavirus update Omicron Nigeria Covid mpox
    Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, DG World Health Organization (WHO)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that the Omicron coronavirus variant poses a high risk of infection surges around the globe.

    The variant could lead to severe consequences in some regions, the WHO said on Monday.

    The head of the organisation, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, renewed a call for a global push to get vaccines to poorer nations.

    Covid-19 is “not done with us” yet he warned.

    The variant was detected in South Africa earlier this month with initial evidence suggesting it has a higher re-infection risk. South Africa has been praised for its prompt reporting of the variant.

    “Omicron has an unprecedented number of spike mutations, some of which are concerning for their potential impact on the trajectory of the pandemic,” the WHO said.

    Speaking on Monday, Dr Tedros said scientists around the world are working to discover if the new variant is associated with higher transmission, risk of reinfection and how it reacts to vaccines.

    • Rwanda bans flights from southern African countries over Omicron

    “Omicron’s very emergency is another reminder that although many of us think we are done with Covid-19, it is not done with us,” he said.

    He added that no deaths have been linked to the new variant yet.

    Cases have already been reported in a number of countries including Canada, the UK, Portugal, Belgium and the Netherlands.

    The new variant has prompted the UK, EU and US to issue a travel ban on Southern African countries – a decision criticised by South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa.

    Japan has announced it is closing its borders to new foreign visitors from midnight on Tuesday, while Australia has paused its long-awaited plan to ease border restrictions.

    Travel into Australia for international students and “skilled workers” holding visas was meant to re-start on Wednesday but has now been delayed until 15 December.

    Israel has also banned foreigners from entering the country.

    Chart showing cases compared by region. Updated 29 Nov

    In the UK, Covid booster jabs are set to be offered to all over-18s to help stop a new wave driven by Omicron.

    The US has also followed suit with Joe Biden telling Americans to “go get your booster”. He also urged people to wear masks indoors.

    But Mr Biden also said he did not anticipate any further US travel restrictions or lockdowns at this time.

    There have been more than 261 million cases and five million deaths around the globe since the pandemic started in 2020, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

    Graphic showing the number of deaths worldwide is 5.2 million, up 5,034 in the latest 24-hour period. The number of cases is 261.5 million, up by 394,775 in the latest 24-hour period. Updated 29 Nov

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    DSS to arraign El-Rufai February 25

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    February 20, 2026
    Lakurawa terrorists Kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack

    February 20, 2026
    Governor Caleb Mutfwang of Plateau State has expressed great grief over the cruel attack by suspected terrorists on a mining site in Kuru District, Jos South Local Government Area, which cost the lives of several innocents.

    Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct

    February 20, 2026
    NSCDC foils armed herders attack on Plateau farmers

    NSCDC starts 24-hour surveillance in Kwara

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.