Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    APC demands NASS takeover of Rivers Assembly

    Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    February 19, 2026
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Convicted former Governor released on bail

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 28, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Ex-Adamawa state Governor, James Ngilari
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Ex-Adamawa state Governor, James Ngilari

    A former Nigerian state governor sentenced to five years in prison for corruption this month has been granted bail on medical grounds pending his appeal, his lawyer said on Tuesday, though prison officials queried the basis of the ruling.

    James Bala Ngillari, governor of northeastern Adamawa state for seven months until May 2015, was convicted of awarding a contract for the procurement of 25 vehicles at a cost of 167 million naira ($548,891) without following due process.

    Convictions of serving and past government officials remain rare in Nigeria even though President Muhammadu Buhari made a crackdown on corruption a central pillar of his government’s approach after taking office in May 2015.

    A high court in Yola granted Ngillari bail on Monday over health concerns, Obed Wadzani, his lawyer, told reporters, after a prison medical officer submitted a letter saying the former governor’s incarceration had caused high blood pressure.

    The letter, the only evidence to support Ngillari’s release, recommended he be sent to a hospital in the United Arab Emirates.

    Wadzani declined to say whether Ngillari had been released.
    Nigeria’s anti-corruption watchdog and prison service questioned the validity of the evidence backing the bail judgement.
    “I have been directed to query the officers involved,” said Peter Tenkwa, the state commander of prison services, adding that the prison service’s legal department needed to review the bail ruling.

    Ngillari originally took office as the state’s deputy governor in 2012 but rose to the top post in 2014 following the impeachment of his predecessor. He served until the current Adamawa state governor won an election in 2015.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    APC demands NASS takeover of Rivers Assembly

    Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    APC demands NASS takeover of Rivers Assembly

    Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    February 19, 2026
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.