Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    May 21, 2026
    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary
    • Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League
    • Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president
    • Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges
    • Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws
    • DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West
    • Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary
    • Nigeria intensifies airport surveillance over Ebola outbreak fears
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, May 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Jihadists seize military base in northeast Nigeria

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 17, 2021No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Jihadists aligned with the Islamic State militant group have captured a military base in northeast Nigeria’s Borno state after overnight clashes with troops, sources told AFP on Saturday.

    Machine-gun wielding fighters from Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) attacked the base in the town of Marte in the Lake Chad area overnight Friday into Saturday, two sources said.

    “The priority now is to reclaim the base from the terrorists and an operation is under way,” one of the sources said.

    “We took a hit from ISWAP terrorists. They raided the base in Marte after a fierce battle.”

    The second source said the army “incurred losses” but it was not yet clear how many people had died or the level of destruction inflicted by the insurgents.

    ISWAP, which split from Boko Haram in 2016, maintains camps on islands in Lake Chad — where Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad meet — and the area is known to be the group’s bastion.

    Last week, the jihadists attacked the Marte base but were repelled, prompting them to mobilise more fighters for the overnight raid, said the sources.

    The raid was seen as a “fightback” after recent losses troops recently overran ISWAP’s second largest camp in Talala village, said the sources.

    In November last year, officials began the phased return of residents to Marte six years after they were pushed out by the jihadists.

    • Boko Haram kidnaps UN aid worker, 50 passengers along Maiduguri-Damaturu road

    The town, 130 kilometres (80 miles) from the regional capital Maiduguri, was once considered the breadbasket of the Lake Chad region.

    At least 36,000 people have been killed in the jihadist conflict since 2009 and violence has spread into neighbouring Niger, Chad and Cameroon, prompting a regional military coalition.

    AFP.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws

    DHQ dismisses fears of terrorist stronghold after Oyo school attacks

    DHQ says Oyo school attacks not evidence of terrorist base in South-West

    Desmond Elliot speaking during an interview on Channels Television about the attempted impeachment of Mudashiru Obasa.

    Desmond Elliot alleges intimidation, withdraws from APC primary

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Governor Siminialayi Fubara has appointed a new chief of staff and also secretary to the Rivers State Government.

    Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primary

    May 21, 2026
    Aston Villa players celebrate after defeating Freiburg to win the Europa League final in Istanbul.

    Clinical Aston Villa outclass Freiburg to win Europa League

    May 21, 2026
    Shettima says allies warned Tinubu against wearing gifted campaign outfits

    Shettima: People told Tinubu I wanted to kill him and become president

    May 20, 2026
    Rabiu Kwankwaso speaking during a political event amid ADC crisis speculation

    Kwankwaso working for Tinubu’s re-election, Kano gov’s aide alleges

    May 20, 2026
    Gbajabiamila behind my ordeal, detained journalist reveals on Inside Sources

    Gbajabiamila lauds Lagos APC primaries as Desmond Elliot withdraws

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.