Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24
    • Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad
    • Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth
    • PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race
    • Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west
    • Gowon reaffirms love for Nigeria in autobiography ‘My Life of Duty & Allegiance’
    • Ebola deaths in Congo rise to 131 amid outbreak
    • DHQ confirms over 20 terrorists killed in coordinated US-Nigeria operation
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, May 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Don’t lift ban on rice importation, Ortom begs Buhari

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 9, 2020No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    The immediate past governor of Benue State, Samuel Ortom, has expressed optimism that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will retake power in 2027.
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State on Monday appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to sustain the policy on the ban of rice importation and not succumb to any pressure.

    The governor made the appeal in Makurdi when the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed paid him a courtesy visit.

    Ortom said the state as the food basket of the nation, commended the president and the Federal Government for the policy which helped in boosting rice production and agriculture in general in the state.

    “The ban on rice importation remains a major milestone in the development of agriculture in Benue. We want to appeal to the Federal Government to continue with the policy.

    Alhaji Lai Mohammed, Nigeria Information Minister increased hate speech penalty from N500,000 to N5 million nbc infrastructure buhari fake news dj switch religious freedom violations
    Nigeria Information Minister, Alhaji Lai Mohammed

    “There might be hardship for a little while but farmers are smiling to their banks now compared to what used to happen. I have been into farming since 1984 and I’m a living witness to this development.

    “Before now, when we cultivate rice, we were not able to sell even the cost of production but today things have changed. Just harvest, the market is already there,” he said.

    • Slain Borno farmers didn’t get clearance to work on rice fields – Garba Shehu

    The governor said that many youths had ventured into rice farming thereby solving the challenge of unemployment.

    He also urged the Federal Government to compel the Central Bank of Nigeria to provide incentives for farmers and private investors in the value chain.

    The governor also thanked the president for the support to the state in addressing the challenge of insecurity.

    According to him, the issue of farmer-herder clashes had been reduced to the barest minimum with the help of the laws passed by the state banning open grazing.

    He, however, appealed to the Federal Government to help the state in the relocation of internally displaced persons who are roaming as a result of conflicts in their homes.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    President Bola Tinubu and Rwandan President Paul Kagame during bilateral talks at the Africa CEO Forum in Kigali.

    Nigeria to adopt Rwanda-style 30-day visa-free policy for Africans

    Gabriel Suswam appearing at the Federal High Court in Abuja during proceedings in the alleged N3.1bn fraud trial.

    Ex-Benue gov Suswam faces final stage in N3.1bn fraud case May 29

    EFCC declares Timipre Sylva wanted

    Timipre Sylva: Court orders takeover of ex-gov’s properties

    Nigerian bank customers react to CBN policy limiting BVN phone number updates to once amid fraud concerns

    CBN rule on BVN phone number updates triggers customer concerns

    Herders

    Herders kill seven in attack on Benue community

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    NDC shifts deadline for legislative, governorship forms to May 24

    May 19, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo topped Ali Daei to be the highest goal scorer in men's football

    Ronaldo leads Portugal’s 2026 World Cup squad

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal players celebrate winning the Premier League title after Manchester City drew with Bournemouth.

    Arsenal win first EPL title in 22 years after Man City slip at Bournemouth

    May 19, 2026
    Jonathan wins 2025 Sunhak Peace Prize

    PDP grants Jonathan waiver, clears him for presidential race

    May 19, 2026
    Sunday Igboho backs Kemi Badenoch, tells Shettima to focus on Nigeria’s 

    Igboho expresses readiness to combat terrorists in south-west

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.