Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links
    • Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution
    • BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation
    • Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure
    • US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
    • National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
    • Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar
    • Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    El-Rufai: ‘I infected four people with COVID-19’

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMay 3, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai has described the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as a “tragedy”.
    Former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-rufai
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state who announced his recovery from COVID-19 last Wednesday has said that he infected four people with the virus during his own period of infection.

    El-Rufai spoke on the pandemic at the 24th edition of The Platform, hosted by Poju Oyemade’s Covenant Nation.

    But he did not name those he infected. Like the governor, all four have recovered.

    He said: “I was the first case, fortunately, I’d say, because it served to scare everyone about the reality that COVID-19 is real, it’s not a joke.

    “I was the first case, I got it in Abuja and I infected four other people, all of us are OK now, we are all back to our normal lives.”

    The state currently has 35 cases, six recoveries, and one death.

    He expects more cases in the state especially from some of the almajiris recently brought from Kano State.

    His words: “We received 169 Almajiris from Kano, and so far 21 of them have tested positive. We expect more to test positive.

    “The spike in our numbers has largely been the Almajiris and other people that have come in.”

    He said government has “been successful in closing down our state, in reducing the traffic into our state as every case in the state has been imported.”

    El-Rufai said the state government now has a N5miilion life insurance package for each of the frontline health workers dealing with COVID-19.

    “We took extraordinary steps to get PPEs for our health workers; we didn’t want to expose any of our frontline workers. We also insured their lives to the tune of N5 million, anyone that dies in this process, his family will get N5 million,” he said.

    • El-Rufai extends coronavirus lockdown by 30 days

    “We have additional disability insurance for those that get sick and cannot work but are not dead. We are also giving special allowances to all health workers, as well as extraordinary allowances to those on the frontline.

    “This is an opportunity to strengthen our public health infrastructure. We are in the process of building a permanent infectious disease hospital. The one that we have is just 16 beds.

    “We are building a 139-bed infectious disease hospital to be completed in the next eight weeks. We are building infectious diseases wards in each of our general hospitals in each of the 23 local governments.

    “This will be 20 to 30 beds in each local government. We realised from Wuhan that the way to deal with this is to trace, test, treat.”

    The governor while announcing his recovery on Wednesday said his family “not only went through the trauma of potentially losing a member but also the risk of being infected as well.”

    He urged the people of the state to “do everything to avoid exposure and prevent the spread of this disease in our towns and villages. We must now make the sacrifices of enhanced domestic hygiene, regular hand-washing with soap, staying at home, and avoiding crowds to defeat this disease.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    The National Assembly disclosed on Sunday that it would reconvene its plenary session on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, shortening its recess amid reports that lawmakers may review the date set for the 2027 presidential election.

    National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    February 16, 2026
    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.