Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution
    • BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation
    • Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure
    • US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
    • National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
    • Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar
    • Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today
    • 2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Europe launches $820bn coronavirus emergency package

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorMarch 19, 2020No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Christine Lagarde has announced an emergency fund to ease the impact of the coronavirus pandemic
    Christine Lagarde has announced an emergency fund to ease the impact of the coronavirus pandemic
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The European Central Bank (ECB) has launched an emergency €750bn ($820bn; £700bn) package to ease the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

    It will buy government and company debt across the eurozone, including that of troubled Greece and Italy.

    ECB boss Christine Lagarde tweeted “there are no limits” to its commitment to the euro.

    In recent weeks central banks and governments around the world have announced major stimulus plans.

    The so-called Pandemic Emergency Purchase Programme comes just six days after the ECB unveiled measures that failed to calm markets, piling pressure on it to do more to support Europe’s economies.

    Announcing this latest move Ms Lagarde said the ECB will do everything in its powers to support the euro in these “extraordinary times”.

    Extraordinary times require extraordinary action. There are no limits to our commitment to the euro. We are determined to use the full potential of our tools, within our mandate. https://t.co/RhxuVYPeVR

    — Christine Lagarde (@Lagarde) March 18, 2020

    The asset purchasing scheme will be temporary and be concluded once the ECB “judges that the coronavirus (Covid-19) crisis phase is over, but in any case not before the end of the year”, it said in statement.

    • Coronavirus and ibuprofen: Separating fact from fiction

    The announcement came after the bank’s 25-member governing council held emergency talks by phone late into Wednesday evening.

    In recent days the ECB had been criticised for not doing enough to support the eurozone compared to the drastic action taken by the US Federal Reserve.

    On Sunday the Fed cut interest rates to almost zero and launched a $700bn (£604bn) stimulus programme.

    It was part of co-ordinated action launched by the UK, Japan, eurozone, Canada and Switzerland.

    As part of that announcement, the Fed said it would work with other central banks to increase the availability of dollars for commercial banks.

    These so-called currency swap lines were an important tool in maintaining financial stability after the 2008 banking crisis.

    “Today’s coordinated action by major central banks will improve global liquidity by lowering the price and extending the maximum term of US dollar lending operations,” Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said in a joint statement with Andrew Bailey, who succeeded him as BoE chief on Monday.

    The Bank of Japan also eased monetary policy by pledging to buy risky assets at double the current pace and announced a new loan programme to extend one-year, zero-rate loans to financial institutions.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    The National Assembly disclosed on Sunday that it would reconvene its plenary session on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, shortening its recess amid reports that lawmakers may review the date set for the 2027 presidential election.

    National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13

    Tinubu vows to crush terrorism, says insecurity hurts Nigeria’s economy

    Tinubu demands release of South Sudan VP Machar

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    February 16, 2026
    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    February 16, 2026
    The National Assembly disclosed on Sunday that it would reconvene its plenary session on Tuesday, February 17, 2026, shortening its recess amid reports that lawmakers may review the date set for the 2027 presidential election.

    National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.