Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi
    • Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest
    • Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season
    • Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Court strikes out N500m suit against ex-Boko Haram spokesman

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorOctober 10, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Former Spokesman of Boko Haram, Ali Konduga
    Former Spokesman of Boko Haram, Ali Konduga
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    An FCT High Court, Maitama, on Thursday struck out an N500 million aggravated suit filed by former Spokesman of Boko Haram, Ali Konduga.

    Justice Samira Bature struck out the suit following an application for discontinuance filed by Konduga’s counsel, Mr. Mohammed Tola, dated Oct. 17 and filed on Oct. 8. Bature noted that the Respondents had earlier pointed out that the court had no jurisdiction to handle the matter and with the motion for discontinuance by the applicant, the suit was struck out.

    Konduga dragged the Director-General, Department of Security Services (DSS) and the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, over alleged breach of his fundamental rights.

    On Oct. 3, Mr. Emmanuel Edu, holding the brief of Mr. Mohammed Tola, counsel for Konduga told the court that the client intended to discontinue the suit.

    Mrs. Clementine Nebo, counsel for the Attorney General of the Federation not object to the notice of withdrawal but said, the proper motion should be presented to the court.

    Given this, Konduga ‘s counsel then prayed for a short adjournment to enable them file motion for withdrawal. Konduga through his counsel, Mr. Mohammed Tola, filed a suit, alleging that he was kept in detention for an extra three years after serving his three-year jail term before he was released in 2016.

    Konduga was convicted by a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Abuja and sentenced to three years imprisonment for criminal intimidation in 2011.

    In the suit, Konduga claimed that he was kept in the custody of the DSS instead of the conventional prison to serve his term because the government wanted him to serve as a key witness to prove a terrorism charge against a senator in a Federal High Court in Abuja.

    READ: We’ll look into cost of governance, says Buhari

    He further stated as of the time of his release, he was never called to testify in the matter or any other matter. Konduga added that he was taken to the DSS’s office in Maiduguri on Sept. 8, 2016, and was released on Sept. 9, 2016, to his parents.

    He alleged that DSS offered his family N700,000 when he was released, and informed his family that the money was meant for his medical treatment.

    The gesture, Konduga said showed that the DSS knew he was entitled to compensation for his illegal and unlawful detention, adding that the Service refused to pay him any other compensation except the N700,000.

    He further stated that some individuals attacked him after he was released in 2016 and he sustained head injury from the attack.

    He added that as a result of the injury he sustained, the police from GRA Police Station, Maiduguri, Borno, took him into protective custody and later referred him to the Federal Neuro-Psychiatric Hospital in Maiduguri.

    He, therefore, demanded an unreserved public apology in three national newspapers.

    Konduga also prayed for an order of the court, directing the respondents to jointly and severally pay him N500 million as aggravated damages and compensation for the illegal, unconstitutional and unlawful detention.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Kayode Fayemi has cautioned that the All Progressives Congress (APC) has strayed from its basic mission, citing a significant lack of intellectualism and internal debate inside the ruling party.

    APC has lost its bearing, vision – Fayemi

    May 22, 2026
    Michael Oyedokun: Terrorists behead abducted Oyo teacher

    Oyo suspends excursions, field trips, as slain teacher laid to rest

    May 22, 2026
    Azpilicueta to retire at end of season

    Chelsea legend Azpilicueta to retire from football at end of season

    May 22, 2026
    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    Baba Malam Wali wins APC governorship ticket in Yobe

    May 22, 2026
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.