Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    February 17, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest
    • Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup
    • Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    EFCC investigates Rivers over N117bn suspicious transactions

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorAugust 27, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    PDP expels Wike, Fayose, Anyanwu, others over anti-party activities
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has described EFCC investigation as a political witch hunt
    Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has described EFCC investigation as a political witch hunt

    The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) have begun investigation into the N117 billion described as “suspicious transactions’’ carried out by the Rivers state government.

    According to the Nation, the monies represent over the counter withdrawals in the last three years.

    It quoted EFCC sources alleging that there were indications that the withdrawals from the state accounts were laundered by some state officials.

    But the state government has described the investigation as “political witch-hunt” and that it would not be intimidated as the state was covered by 2007 court ruling which forbids probe of the state.

    The EFCC had so far listed four suspects for interrogation in connection with the massive withdrawals, including an official in-charge of Finance and Accounts at the Government House and also a cashier.

    A bank’s Managing Director (MD) had already been detained after he admitted that N5.2 billion was realised as charges for the “controversial” transactions.

    According to the sources, the withdrawals were made in tranches of N10 million with as many as 50 cheques cashed in a day.

    The sources said it was a case of “gross violation” of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act of 2011.

    One of the sources said: “Based on intelligence report, the EFCC swung into action.

    READ: Atiku Abubakar denies dumping PDP for APGA

    “Our findings indicated that the withdrawals were made in cash from the state accounts mostly by one person. There are no records of what the cash was used for. We are working on clues that it was diverted.

    “The EFCC team has obtained all the records of the withdrawals, including date and time. For instance, on June 8, 2015 barely few days in government, about 45 cheques amounting to N450million were cashed over the counter for no justifiable purpose.

    “Also, on June 9, 2015 about 50 cheques amounting to N500million were withdrawn. We will soon release the details of findings by our team.”

    The government, has warned that no government would appear before EFCC on the matter until the Court of Appeal sets aside the 2007 judgment barring the commission from investigating the state.

    The governor’s Special Assistant on Electronic Media, Mr. Simeon Nwakaudu quoted Wike as describing the EFCC’s action as a “political witch-hunt”.

    “We are not afraid of their probe and they have no power to probe us.

    “No government official will appear before the EFCC until they set aside the court judgment of Rivers State Government against them in 2007. We cannot be intimidated.

    “They filed for leave to appeal the judgment at the Court of Appeal. Until they set aside the judgment, we will not come.“

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Yusuf rejoins APC with lawmakers, LGA chairmen in Kano

    Yusuf reveals joining APC to secure Kano citizens’ interest

    February 17, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada visa processing slows ahead 2026 FIFA World Cup

    February 17, 2026
    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    Troops intercept N37m, terrorists’ supplies in Borno

    February 17, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.