Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast
    • FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone
    • US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links
    • Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution
    • BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation
    • Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure
    • US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day
    • National Assembly moves to shift 2027 presidential poll to Feb13
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    IPOB suffers defeat in court again

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJanuary 27, 2018No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Nnamdi Kanu is leader of proscribed IPOB
    Nnamdi Kanu, leader of proscribed IPOB is in DSS custody
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    IPOB leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu
    The whereabout of IPOB leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu is unknown

    The Federal High Court in Abuja has dismissed an application by the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, seeking to compel the Chief of Army staff to produce the missing leader of the group, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu.

    Justice Binta Nyako also over-ruled the appeal for lack of merit and proof, that the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai was indeed the last person seen with Kanu.

    Counsel to IPOB, Ifeanyi Ejiofor had prayed the court to order the Chief of Army staff to produce his client claiming that no member of Kanu’s family had seen or heard from him since September 14th, 2017.

    Opposing the motion, however, the counsel to the Army, Mr. Akinlolu Kehinde, told the court that Kanu was not and had never been in the custody of the Nigerian Army.

    Ejiofor on October 17 during the trial told the court that he is looking for his client.

    READ: Buhari arrives in Addis Ababa for AU summit

    He said he had filed a suit asking the court to compel the Nigerian Army to produce the leader of IPOB alleging that his disappearance is unconnected with the invasion of his home by the Nigerian Army on September 11, 2017.

    The Federal High Court in Abuja on 18th of January 27, 2018 rejected an application by the proscribed group, challenging the order banning it.

    In a ruling by Justice Adamu Kafarati, the court held that the proscription order made ex-parte on September 20 last year was validly made.

    The court also held that IPOB’s application, seeking the vacation of the proscription order was unmeritorious and deserved to be dismissed.

    Nigeria’s Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai

    The judge awarded N500,000 cost against IPOB.

    The South East Governors’ Forum had proscribed the activities of the IPOB in the wake of the group’s confrontation with the military in Abia state.

    Arising from its emergency meeting in Enugu, Chairman of the forum, Governor Dave Umahi of Ebonyi requested the group and other of such groups to articulate their grievances and send to the forum.

    Umahi appealed to all governors in the zone to ensure compliance with the directive in their various states and for the Federal Government to withdraw the troops in the zone.

    Umahi said: “All activities of IPOB are, hereby, proscribed. IPOB and all other aggrieved groups are advised to articulate their position on all national issues.

    “Such should be submitted to the committee of governors, Ohaneze Ndi Igbo and National Assembly members from the South East zone through the chairman of the South East Governors’ Forum,” he said.

    The Presidency also issued proscribed the group which was challenged in court.

    Justice Abdul Kafarati of the Federal High Court in Abuja had earlier endorsed the presidential order banning the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).

    The Minister of Justice, Mr Abubakar Malami, had filed an exparte application urging the court to grant the injunction.

    President Muhammadu Buhari had earlier given written approval for the proscription of the group, pending legal process.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    Ajaero slams Nigeria power privatisation as failure

    Nigerians ‘paying for darkness’, Ajaero slams power sector reform as failure

    US Embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    US embassy, consulate in Nigeria observe Presidents’ Day

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break

    Ramadan: EPL to pause matches so Muslim players can break fast

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    FG files charges against El-Rufai for intercepting Ribadu’s phone

    February 16, 2026
    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    US sanctions eight Nigerians over Boko Haram links

    February 16, 2026
    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    Protesters storm EFCC office demanding El-Rufai’s prosecution

    February 16, 2026
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    BREAKING: DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.