Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    • Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest
    • Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident
    • US to withdraw all troops from Syria
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Cameroon separatists kill 4 gendarmes as Anglophone crisis worsens

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 19, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Cameroon separatists have killed four gendarmes as the Anglophone war widens
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Cameroon separatists have killed four gendarmes as the Anglophone war widens

    Militants seeking independence for Cameroon’s English-speaking regions killed four gendarmes on Monday, the government said, as disputes with the Francophone-dominated government degenerate into open warfare.

    Several separatists were killed by security forces in ensuing clashes, the government spokesman said.

    Repression by President Paul Biya’s government against what began as peaceful protests a year ago by Anglophone activists over perceived social and economic marginalisation has bolstered support for armed militants demanding a full break with Yaounde.

    The separatists have launched a series of deadly raids on government police and soldiers in recent weeks, leading authorities to escalate a crackdown that has killed dozens of civilians.

    Issa Tchiroma Bakary, Cameroon’s government spokesman, said the separatists had killed four gendarmes earlier on Monday in the town of Kembong in Southwest region’s Manyu Division.

    “The assailants, ensnared by the measures put in place by our defence and security forces, are now reduced to sporadic attacks carried out by hidden faces and using perfidy,” Tchiroma said.

    A representative for the separatists could not be immediately reached for comment.

    READ: Reginald Clemons admits murders after overturned death sentence

    Manyu, with its dense equatorial forests along the Nigerian border, has become the centre of the insurgency from which the separatists have launched a series of attacks on security forces in villages.

    The violence there has fueled a mounting refugee crisis.

    At least 7,500 people have crossed into Nigeria since October 1, when the secessionists declared an independent state called Ambazonia, and the UN refugee agency says it is bracing itself for as many as 40,000.

    Cameroon’s linguistic divide harks back to the end of World War One, when the German colony of Kamerun was carved up between allied French and British victors.

    The English-speaking regions joined the French-speaking Republic of Cameroon the year after its independence in 1960.

    French speakers have dominated the country’s politics since.

    Tensions have long simmered but the recent violence is the most serious to date and has emerged as a serious challenge to Biya’s 35-year rule.

    The 84-year-old is expected to seek a new term in an election next year.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    February 19, 2026
    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    February 19, 2026
    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.