Real Madrid head coach Alvaro Arbeloa has stated that he will depart the club at the end of the season, with Jose Mourinho poised to take over.
The 43-year-old was promoted from his post as Real Madrid B manager in January, replacing former Liverpool teammate Xabi Alonso, and will now leave the club following a trophyless season.
Mourinho, who has been in charge of Benfica this season, is in final talks to take over at Real Madrid, having previously managed the club from 2010 to 2013.
Arbeloa announced his departure from Real Madrid in a press conference ahead of the club’s season-ending match against Athletic Club on Saturday.
“Mou has a fantastic technical team, he’s got good people around him, if he comes to Madrid he will come with his team,” said Arbeloa.
“There’s no chance that I would be with him. Then, my future… from Monday I’ll think about that.”
Real Madrid will finish the season as La Liga runners-up, without a major trophy for the second year in a row, after losing to Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-finals.
Arbeloa, who played for Real between 2009 and 2016, expressed hope that this match would not be his last with the club.
“I hope it’s a see you later… I’ve always considered this my home; I’ve belonged to Madrid for 20 years in various roles,” said Arbeloa.
“It will be my last game this season as coach of Real Madrid. I don’t know if it will be the last game of my life as coach of Real Madrid.
“We never know. I’ll try and enjoy it and try to get the win.”







