Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC declares ex-minister Sadiya Farouq wanted for alleged fraud

    Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister

    May 19, 2026
    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket

    May 19, 2026
    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister
    • Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket
    • San Diego mosque shooting kills three
    • Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win
    • Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly
    • Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation
    • Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west
    • El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, May 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoMay 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    EFCC declares ex-minister Sadiya Farouq wanted for alleged fraud
    Former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Federal Capital Territory High Court in Apo, Abuja, upheld on Monday an arrest warrant issued against Sadiya Umar Farouq, former minister of humanitarian affairs, for alleged fraud involving $1.3 million and N746.7 million.

    Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie ruled that the bench warrant issued against the former minister on April 16, 2026, would stay valid.

    The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) is prosecuting Farouq, Bashir Nura Alkali, and Sani Nafiu Mohammed on allegations of suspected criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public monies.

    At the resumed hearings, EFCC counsel Rotimi Jacobs (SAN) reminded the court that the case was scheduled for arraignment but that the first defendant, Farouq, was absent without explanation.

    Jacobs said, “My lord, we were here on April 16, 2026, when your lordship granted us a bench warrant to arrest the first defendant.” It was because of that the second defendant immediately approached the commission and surrendered himself in obedience to your lordship’s order.”

    He urged the court to quash the warrant against the second defendant while upholding the order against the former minister.

    The prosecutor further mentioned that Farouq’s attorney, Oladipo Okpesheyi (SAN), had previously appealed to the court to give him one month to present his client.

    According to Jacobs, despite the court’s reluctance to grant a lengthy adjournment under the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, the judge granted the defense’s request.

    “My expectation this morning will be for my colleague to say that the client he promised to produce is in court today, but alas, he did not do so,” Jacobs said.

    He added, “I will urge your lordship to ensure that the undertaking is enforced by counsel to produce his client instead of asking the court to discharge the order. My lordship should not listen to them until the undertaking is enforced.”

    When asked by the court to explain Farouq’s absence, Okpesheyi told the judge that the former minister was currently in Egypt receiving medical treatment.

    “My lord, she is in Egypt. I learned that her doctor said she is not medically fit to appear today,” he said.

    “There is a medical report I received on my phone last night that says she is in the hospital on the doctor’s advice in Egypt. She will need about two months to recover before she can come. We will be humbly asking for an adjournment.”

    However, Justice Onwuegbuzie objected to what he saw as persistent attempts to impede and delay the trial.

    “At the last adjournment, M.S. Ibrahim promised the court to produce the first defendant. It will be impossible to grant another adjournment.

    “I will not tolerate unnecessary adjournment in my court. I will give you a short adjournment, and you will go and bring her, even if she is in a wheelchair. And if she is not here, the court will do what it needs to do,” the judge said.

    The judge then determined that Farouq’s arrest warrant remained active and deferred the case until June 8, 2026, for arraignment.

    Chronicle NG reports that last week, the EFCC declared the former minister wanted for alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds.

    According to a notice signed by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, any anti-graft agency with knowledge of the ex-minister’s whereabouts is encouraged to contact the commission.

    The EFCC advised anyone with helpful information to contact its offices in Ibadan, Uyo, Sokoto, Maiduguri, Benin, Makurdi, Kaduna, Ilorin, Enugu, Kano, Lagos, Gombe, Port Harcourt, or Abuja, or to call 08093322644, email info@efcc.gov.ng, or visit the local police station.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    Land-grabbing thugs popularly called "Omo Onile" have demolished over 50 buildings in the Surulere community of Lagos State.

    Political thugs disrupt Ondo APC primary collation

    Senate : SERAP demands Akpabio publish names in N200tn NNPCL probe

    Akpabio emerges APC senatorial candidate for Akwa Ibom north west

    Peter Obi has expressed condolences to former Kaduna State governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai on the death of his mother, Hajiya Umma El-Rufai.

    El-Rufai: Family kicks as DSS picks ex-gov after court grants bail

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC declares ex-minister Sadiya Farouq wanted for alleged fraud

    Sadiya Farouq: Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister

    May 19, 2026
    ADC south-south backs Amaechi for 2027 presidency

    Amaechi boast of beating Atiku to ADC ticket

    May 19, 2026
    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    San Diego mosque shooting kills three

    May 19, 2026
    Arsenal close in on Premier League title after Havertz sinks Burnley

    Arsenal three points from Premier League title after Burnley win

    May 19, 2026
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Court orders El-Rufai to report to DSS monthly

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.