Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • 2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket
    • Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven
    • Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction
    • Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup
    • Barcelona thrash Lyon to win fourth Champions League title
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    • Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday
    • WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Senegal free to challenge AFCON 2025 title ruling – CAF

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoMarch 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Senegal submits appeal to CAS against CAF’s AFCON decision
    Sadio Mane lifts the trophy with teammates as Senegal celebrate after winning the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    President of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), Patrice Motsepe, has indicated Senegal is free to fight the decision stripping it of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations title, emphasizing that no country will be given preferential treatment.

    Recall that controversy emerged on Tuesday after CAF changed the result of the AFCON 2025 final, depriving Senegal of the championship and awarding a 3–0 victory to Morocco after upholding an appeal by the Royal Moroccan Football Federation.

    Senegal won the final 1-0 on January 18 thanks to an extra-time goal, but the match was marred by controversy after Senegalese players staged a 15-minute walk-off in protest over a late penalty granted to Morocco.

    Citing Article 82 of its regulations, CAF concluded that the action amounted to forfeiture, leading to a reversal of the result.

    Motsepe stated in a video interview aired on Wednesday that all 54 member nations have the ability to file challenges, including with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

    He said, “And I’m told that Senegal is going to appeal, which is very important. Every one of the 54 nations in Africa has a right to pursue their appeals and advance their interests, not only at the highest level in Africa, in CAF, but also at the highest body, which is the Court of Arbitration for Sport. And we will adhere to and respect the decision that’s taken at the highest level.”

    Motsepe admitted that the fallout from the disputed final between Senegal and Morocco had dented confidence in African football.

    He described the controversy as part of a longstanding challenge of distrust within African football, particularly around officiating and governance.

    “I’ve been informed of the ruling by the CAF Appeals Board concerning the appeal by Morocco relating to the AFCON-Morocco 2025 final match, and I previously expressed my extreme disappointment with the incidents that took place at the final match.

    “The important thing about what happened in that final match is it undermines the good work that CAF has done over many years to ensure that there’s integrity, that there’s respect, that there’s ethics, that there’s governance, as well as credibility of the results of our football matches.

    “The occurrences at the final match are part of the issues we are still dealing with concerning suspicion and distrust. It’s a legacy issue.

    “When I became president, one of the major concerns was the impartiality, the independence, and the respect of referees and match commissioners. A lot of good work has been done, but there continues to be suspicion because it’s a legacy issue,” he said.

    Motsepe also noted that the issue has refocused attention on the independence of the CAF’s judicial bodies. According to him, the federation has subsequently taken a more open approach to appointing members to its disciplinary and appeals committees, soliciting nominations from member associations and regional zones.

    He emphasized the CAF’s commitment to fairness throughout the continent.

    “It is important that the decisions of our disciplinary board and the CAF appeals board are viewed with the respect and integrity that’s very important to us. But we will still have to deal with perceptions and concerns about integrity. It’s an ongoing issue. The CAF disciplinary board took one decision. The CAF appeals board took a totally different position.

    “A critical factor is that not a single country in Africa will be treated in a manner that is more preferential or more advantageous or more favorable than any other country on the African continent,” he said.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Bayern Munich's Harry Kane is the top scorer in the Bundesliga

    Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup

    First Women’s Club World Cup to take place in 2026

    Barcelona thrash Lyon to win fourth Champions League title

    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    Fernandes named Premier League player of the season

    Celtic extend league league with pulsating win over Rangers

    Celtic win Scottish Cup to complete double

    Hull promoted to Premier League after 1-0 win over Middlesbrough

    Hull promoted to Premier League after 1-0 win over Middlesbrough

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    May 24, 2026
    Bayern Munich's Harry Kane is the top scorer in the Bundesliga

    Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup

    May 24, 2026
    First Women’s Club World Cup to take place in 2026

    Barcelona thrash Lyon to win fourth Champions League title

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.