Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe

    February 18, 2026
    Ondo NLC writes Aiyedatiwa, demands N256,950 minimum wage

    Aiyedatiwa denies role in APC chairman attack in Ondo

    February 18, 2026
    Nigeria's Senate President Bukola Saraki says his life is in danger

    Saraki preaches peace, distributes food during Ramadan in Kwara

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe
    • Aiyedatiwa denies role in APC chairman attack in Ondo
    • Saraki preaches peace, distributes food during Ramadan in Kwara
    • Traditional rulers urge Tinubu to free Nnamdi Kanu over south-east tensions
    • Obi questions Tinubu electricity promise, demands electoral reform
    • APC chair beaten as party congress turns violent in Ondo
    • Job scams, desperation push Nigerians into Russia–Ukraine war recruitment
    • Truck crashes into pedestrians, kills six in Ogun
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Wednesday, February 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Law firm seeks criminal case against Shell, its CEO over Nigeria deal

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 5, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    A Dutch court has sued Shell and its CEO, Ben van Beurden

    A Dutch law firm has asked the public prosecutor in the Netherlands to file a case against Royal Dutch Shell, its CEO and former executives of over what it says were criminal actions relating to a 2011 oilfield purchase in Nigeria.

    The Dutch authorities are already investigating the oilfield deal, alongside Italian prosecutors, who want to take Shell and Italy’s Eni to trial over alleged corruption on the same oilfield.

    Shell and Eni have denied any wrongdoing. Shell said on Tuesday it did not believe there was any basis to prosecute the company or any current or former employee.

    Prakken d‘Oliveira, a law firm specialising in human rights cases, filed its request in September on behalf of Global Witness and other clients, asking the prosecutor to charge the Shell, as well as its Chief Executive Officer Ben van Beurden, former CEO Peter Voser and former Chief Financial Officer Simon Henry.

    Voser and Henry could not immediately be reached for comment.

    READ: Buhari joins Nigerian Army to appraise 2017 performance

    Barbara van Straaten, a lawyer at Prakken d‘Oliveira, said the request would push the Dutch prosecutor’s office to say if they intended to move forward with criminal charges.

    Campaign group Global Witness has published several reports on the 2011 deal in which Shell and Eni secured the oil prospecting licence (OPL) 245. At the time, Nigeria’s oil minister was Dan Etete.

    Global Witness and others say much of the $1.3 billion in payments for the block did not go to the state but instead went to Etete, who has since been convicted of money laundering, and to Malabu Oil and Gas, a firm that previously held the rights.

    Shell said earlier this year it knew the Nigerian government would compensate Malabu using some of the money, but said the transaction was fully legal.

    An Italian judge is expected to decide on December 20 whether to try Eni and Shell for alleged corruption in the deal.

    Milan prosecutors have asked for the two firms, as well as some past and present managers from the companies, including current Eni CEO Claudio Descalzi, to be indicted.

    A Dutch anti-fraud team raided Shell’s headquarters in The Hague in 2016 as part of its investigation.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe

    Ondo NLC writes Aiyedatiwa, demands N256,950 minimum wage

    Aiyedatiwa denies role in APC chairman attack in Ondo

    Nigeria's Senate President Bukola Saraki says his life is in danger

    Saraki preaches peace, distributes food during Ramadan in Kwara

    Traditional rulers urge Tinubu to free Nnamdi Kanu over south-east tensions

    Traditional rulers urge Tinubu to free Nnamdi Kanu over south-east tensions

    Obi questions Tinubu electricity promise, demands electoral reform

    Obi questions Tinubu electricity promise, demands electoral reform

    APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders

    APC chair beaten as party congress turns violent in Ondo

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    DSS charges El-Rufai over interception of Ribadu’s phone conversation

    EFCC extends El-Rufai detention over N432bn corruption probe

    February 18, 2026
    Ondo NLC writes Aiyedatiwa, demands N256,950 minimum wage

    Aiyedatiwa denies role in APC chairman attack in Ondo

    February 18, 2026
    Nigeria's Senate President Bukola Saraki says his life is in danger

    Saraki preaches peace, distributes food during Ramadan in Kwara

    February 18, 2026
    Traditional rulers urge Tinubu to free Nnamdi Kanu over south-east tensions

    Traditional rulers urge Tinubu to free Nnamdi Kanu over south-east tensions

    February 18, 2026
    Obi questions Tinubu electricity promise, demands electoral reform

    Obi questions Tinubu electricity promise, demands electoral reform

    February 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.