Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    Wike lauds FCT poll, says results reflect democracy

    February 22, 2026
    CAN rejects Shari’ah council’s call for INEC chair’s removal

    INEC to unveil new 2027 election timetable

    February 22, 2026
    Eze Arsenal's derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor's Tottenham

    Eze Arsenal’s derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor’s Tottenham 

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Wike lauds FCT poll, says results reflect democracy
    • INEC to unveil new 2027 election timetable
    • Eze Arsenal’s derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor’s Tottenham 
    • Barcelona return to La Liga lead after thrashing Levante 3-0
    • Lawmaker breaks silence on Obono-Obla’s arrest in Cross River
    • NAFDAC confiscates banned, fake cosmetics worth N3bn in Lagos
    • Mac Allister frantic finish seals Liverpool win over Nottingham 
    • US Secret Service kills man trying to enter Trump’s estate
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Falana berates judges for freeing security fund looters

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoJanuary 5, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Falana urges US Congress to sanction Trump over ‘illegal invasion’ of Venezuela
    Human Rights lawyer, Femi Falana
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Human rights lawyer Mr. Femi Falana (SAN) has condemned Nigerian judges for releasing people charged with stealing billions of naira allocated for arms acquisition, asserting that these judicial rulings are jeopardizing the struggle against terrorism and banditry in the nation.

    Falana stated that the courts were “not assisting” by using what he called questionable technicalities to acquit notable individuals accused of misappropriating security funds, while soldiers on the frontlines continue to be inadequately supplied.

    While conversing with journalists in his Ilawe-Ekiti hometown on Saturday, the senior advocate expressed his concern that terrorists and bandits now seem better equipped than Nigerian troops since funds allocated for arms and logistics have been misappropriated by “notorious criminal elements.”

    “If the members of the Armed Forces are well equipped and motivated, they can deal with terrorism and banditry. But as a result of the neglect of vital security institutions over the years, the ragtag armies of criminal elements are winning the war on terror. It is a shame,” Falana said.

    Falana accused some military officers and their civilian collaborators of stealing money earmarked for arms procurement, noting that the situation had been worsened by court decisions that allowed such suspects to walk free.

    “How do you fight terrorism in an environment where the money budgeted for procurement of arms and ammunition is stolen by well-known criminal elements in society?” he queried.

    Falana stated that his experience defending soldiers and officers charged under the Armed Forces Act had shown him that many were willing to prosecute the counter-insurgency war but lacked vital equipment.

    “The money earmarked for procurement of arms and ammunition was stolen by a coterie of military officers and their civilian collaborators. The courts are not helping, as they hide under dubious technicalities to free the indicted criminals who stole billions of naira meant for security,” he said.

    Citing particular incidents, Falana stated that a former service chief accused of stealing N22.8 billion was released by a Federal High Court because he was not convicted by a court martial, despite the fact that the accusation was money laundering, which falls only under the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court.

    “The money earmarked for procurement of arms and ammunition was stolen by a coterie of military officers and their civilian collaborators. The courts are not helping, as they hide under dubious technicalities to free the indicted criminals who stole billions of naira in procurement funds.

    “For instance, a service chief was charged with stealing N22.8bn. The Federal High Court freed him on the ground that he was not charged before a court-martial. Meanwhile, he was charged with money laundering, which can only be tried exclusively by the Federal High Court.

    “A former governor was charged with stealing N6.9bn from the Office of the then National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki. A judge has just freed him without even allowing him to defend himself.

    “A few other military officers and civilians who stole about N200bn have been asked to go home and enjoy the stolen funds earmarked for the purchase of military hardware. Meanwhile, our soldiers are ill-equipped because of the criminal diversion of the huge funds.

    “So, the government must put in place a mechanism for the recovery of money meant for the procurement of arms and ammunition that have been stolen. This is with a view to using the fund for the purpose for which it was meant as a matter of urgency.

    “If you equip your armed forces and motivate the members, Nigeria can fight terrorism and banditry without the intervention of any country. To secure Nigeria is not the business of any foreign nation; it is the duty of the government under the constitution, and that duty must be carried out by the government.

    “There is no indication that the government is incompetent and cannot secure Nigeria. Since Nigerians know where the problems lie, we have a duty to compel the government of our country to carry out its responsibility under the law.”

    Falana urged the Federal Government to urgently put in place a mechanism to recover stolen security funds and channel them back to arms procurement.

    “If you equip and motivate your armed forces, Nigeria can fight terrorism and banditry without the intervention of any country. Securing Nigeria is not the business of any foreign nation; it is the constitutional duty of the government,” he said.

    Speaking on the recent US airstrike on a terrorist base in Sokoto and the Federal Government’s claim that it provided intelligence for the operation, Falana warned against foreign involvement that could inflame religious tensions.

    “Let the Nigerian government be warned not to allow US President Donald Trump to promote religious war in Nigeria. Criminals killing Nigerians do not care about religion. The war against terror must not divide our people along religious or ethnic lines,” he said.

    He noted that insecurity could not be addressed without tackling unemployment and social misery and warned that idle youths were more likely to turn to crime.

    Remember that instability intensified near the end of last year, with an increase in incidences of banditry, murder, and kidnapping for ransom.

    US President Donald Trump, who labeled the situation in Nigeria as an attack on Christians, authorized airstrikes on terrorist targets in the country, one of which occurred in Sokoto on Christmas Day. The federal government stated that it offered intelligence support for the operation, which has sparked diverse emotions across the country.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    Wike lauds FCT poll, says results reflect democracy

    CAN rejects Shari’ah council’s call for INEC chair’s removal

    INEC to unveil new 2027 election timetable

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Lawmaker breaks silence on Obono-Obla’s arrest in Cross River

    The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) discovered a warehouse in Lagos State containing prohibited, fraudulent, and unregistered cosmetic products worth over ₦3 billion.

    NAFDAC confiscates banned, fake cosmetics worth N3bn in Lagos

    US deports 79 Nigerians on criminal list

    US Secret Service kills man trying to enter Trump’s estate

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    Wike lauds FCT poll, says results reflect democracy

    February 22, 2026
    CAN rejects Shari’ah council’s call for INEC chair’s removal

    INEC to unveil new 2027 election timetable

    February 22, 2026
    Eze Arsenal's derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor's Tottenham

    Eze Arsenal’s derby hero again as leaders sink Tudor’s Tottenham 

    February 22, 2026
    Barcelona narrowly defeated Real Madrid in a five-goal clash to claim consecutive Spanish Super Cup titles in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

    Barcelona return to La Liga lead after thrashing Levante 3-0

    February 22, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Lawmaker breaks silence on Obono-Obla’s arrest in Cross River

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.