Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    • Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026
    • Ondo monarch killed by terrorists
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    US visa suspension: Nigerians confused as Trump targets students, tourists

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedDecember 17, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    US President Donald Trump
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Confusion has gripped Nigerians following the United States’ suspension of new tourist, student, and exchange visa applications as part of its latest update to travel restrictions.

    The suspension covers both immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including B-1, B-2, B-1/B-2, F, M, and J categories — routes most commonly used by Nigerians — despite data showing relatively low visa overstay rates.

    B visas are issued to temporary visitors for business (B-1) or tourism (B-2); F and M visas are for students (academic and vocational); while J visas are for exchange visitors.

    President Donald Trump signed the proclamation on Tuesday.

    “The entry into the United States of nationals of Nigeria as immigrants, and as nonimmigrants on B-1, B-2, B-1/B-2, F, M, and J visas, is hereby suspended,” Trump said.

    The president also directed consular officers to reduce the validity of any other non-immigrant visa issued to Nigerian nationals, to the extent permitted by law.

    • US warns Nigerians against visa fraud

    Reasons were provided for the partial travel restriction imposed on 15 countries, including Nigeria.

    “The free operation of radical Islamic terrorist groups such as Boko Haram and the Islamic State in certain parts of the country” was cited as the primary reason for the restriction.

    According to the White House, the situation has created “substantial screening and vetting difficulties”.

    The White House also cited an overstay rate of 5.56 percent for the B-1/B-2 visa category and 11.90 percent for F, M, and J visas as justification for the partial suspension.

    However, the proclamation clarified that the directive does not apply to lawful permanent residents of the United States. It also excludes foreign nationals who already possess a valid visa on the effective date of the proclamation.

    Athletes, dual citizens of countries not previously restricted, and US government employees were also exempted.

    The US Embassy in Abuja has been contacted for clarification.

    In July, the embassy announced a reduction in the validity period and entry allowance for “most” non-immigrant and non-diplomatic visas issued to Nigerians, effectively limiting their stay in the US to three months with a single entry.

    An alleged imbalance in visa reciprocity from Nigeria was cited as the reason for the stringent measure.

    Although the restrictions were initially applied to several countries, including Ghana, the measures were later lifted for Ghana, while Nigeria’s remain in effect.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    February 19, 2026
    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    February 19, 2026
    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    Nigeria digital trade platform for air, sea cargoes to launch March 2026

    February 19, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected bandits.

    Ondo monarch killed by terrorists

    February 19, 2026
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.