Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    February 19, 2026
    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    February 19, 2026
    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1
    • When African fans started reading the game like experts
    • Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans
    • NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs
    • Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64
    • Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Malami leads probe of 26 dead Nigerian girls in Italy

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 18, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    People pay respects to the 26 Nigerian girls found dead in the Mediterranean
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    People pay respects to the 26 Nigerian girls found dead in the Mediterranean

    Abubakar Malami, the Minister of Justice, is leading the a cabinet committee to examine the circumstances of the death of 26 teenage Nigerian migrant girls in the Mediterranean in early November.

    A Presidency official, who preferred to remain anonymous, confirmed this development on Friday in Abuja.

    The source reacted to allegations that the government had not taken any action regarding the death of the girls believed to have drowned at sea.

    The official stated that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had kept it sights on the issue and had briefed the Presidency on a regular basis since the time the tragic incident came to limelight.

    The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that committee which is being chaired by the Minister of Justice and Attorney-General, Abubakar Malami, has the ministers of Women Affairs, Youths, Foreign Affairs and the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and the Diaspora.

    READ: Thugs beat electoral officers, disrupt PDP primaries

    According to the official, the committee is expected to also examine the reports of incidents of the sale of Nigerian citizens through slavery and report to the Federal Executive Council within week.

    When contacted, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Malam Garba Shehu, confirmed the inauguration of the committee.

    NAN recalls that the bodies of the Nigerian migrant girls, aged between 14 and 18, were brought to the southern Italian port of Salerno by the Spanish ship Cantabria on November 3.

    The girls were initially believed to have been abused and killed.

    However, autopsies on the bodies of the girls, the result of which was released on Friday, indicated that the girls died from drowning after the dinghies they were travelling in sank.

    NAN gathered that already arrests had been made by the Italian government in connection with the ugly incident while Italy’s southern city of Salerno held a mass funeral for 26 young Nigerian girls.

    A Roman Catholic bishop and a Muslim Imam both said prayers at the simple ceremony in the southern city of Salerno, with 26 wooden coffins laid out on a stone dais.

    Reports indicated that only two of the girls were identified.

    “It is very likely that these girls were victims of trafficking for sexual exploitation,” said Federico Soda, director UN migration agency for the Mediterranean.

    (NAN)

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    Senator Barinada Mpigi, the lawmaker representing Rivers South-East Senatorial District and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Works.

    Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64

    APC demands NASS takeover of Rivers Assembly

    Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara

    EFCC accuses banks, fintechs of enabling N18.7bn fraud

    EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara

    Providus-Unity bank merger stalls over N4.8bn insider loans

    Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    February 19, 2026
    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    February 19, 2026
    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    February 19, 2026
    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    February 19, 2026
    Senator Barinada Mpigi, the lawmaker representing Rivers South-East Senatorial District and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Works.

    Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.