Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    November 29, 2025
    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    November 29, 2025
    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments
    • Malami released after EFCC grilling
    • Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP
    • Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup
    • Tanker explosion kills three in Kano
    • Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week
    • Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA
    • Tax reforms: NOA launches nationwide campaign to counter misinformation
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, November 29
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoNovember 29, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting
    Former Nigeria President Goodluck Jonathan
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Former President Goodluck Jonathan has made suggestions on the plausible involvement of Guinea-Bissau President Umaro Embaló in the coup that ravaged the country.

    Jonathan, speaking in a video interview obtained by Chronicle NG, claimed that the military takeover did not follow the typical pattern of a military coup.

    The former president had been to Guinea-Bissau as a member of the West African Elders Forum to observe the presidential and legislative elections.

    However, while observer missions from the African Union, the Economic Community of West African States, and other organizations were still performing their roles, the military took control.

    The development left the former Bayelsa State governor and his staff stranded, raising concerns about his safety.

    Jonathan, who was later removed from Guinea-Bissau and landed in Nigeria on Thursday, said the incident made him uneasy.

    He said, “I have been quite particular about Guinea-Bissau. As a sitting president then, Guinea-Bissau was in crisis. It started around 2012. In 2011, we had to go physically and work with them and make sure that the 2013 elections were conducted.”

    He regarded the situation in Guinea-Bissau as odd, claiming that it did not follow the typical pattern of a military coup.

    Jonathan questioned President Umaro Embaló’s early announcement of his own “arrest,” while still utilizing his phone to speak with worldwide media.

    According to him, the Guinea-Bissau elections were calm, citing reports from ECOWAS, the AU, and other observer teams.

    He expressed worry that, while the results were being compiled, Embaló announced that a coup had occurred and that he had been held, despite evidence indicating that he had never been arrested.

    “It is painful for me that President Embaló was the one announcing a military takeover of government. It is totally unacceptable.

    “What happened in Guinea-Bissau, I would not call it a coup; it was not a coup. For lack of a better word, I will say it was a ceremonial coup because it was President Embaló who announced the coup before the military later came up to address the world that they were in charge of the government.

    “Embaló had already announced that there was a coup, which is strange. Not only announcing the coup, but Embaló, while the coup took place, was using his phone and addressing media organizations across the world, saying that he had been arrested. I’m a Nigerian close to 70, and I know how they keep heads of state when a coup takes place.

    “They cannot be playing pranks; nobody should call others fools. There is no way there will be a military coup at a time they were about to announce election results and the president was the person who announced the coup. It doesn’t happen anywhere,” Jonathan said.

    The former president recommended against using the military to regain power and urged ECOWAS and the AU to publicize the complete election results.

    Jonathan also advocated for the release of Fernando Dias, the primary opposition leader, from military custody, claiming that he had committed no crime.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    39 Niger tanker explosion victims get mass burial

    Tanker explosion kills three in Kano

    The terrorists who kidnapped about 35 worshippers from the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke-Igan, Eruku, in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, have reportedly demanded N100 million ransom per victim.

    Kwara govt yet to release freed church abductees after one week

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Terrorists now using satellite communication, says NASRDA

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    DSS invites Datti Baba-Ahmed over alleged inciting public comments

    November 29, 2025
    Minister for Justice and Attorney-General Abubakar Malami EFCC assets

    Malami released after EFCC grilling

    November 29, 2025
    Veteran Nollywood actor and cultural icon Lere Paimo

    Lere Paimo is alive – ANTP

    November 29, 2025
    2027: Court asked to restrain Jonathan from contesting

    Jonathan questions Guinea-Bissau’s president’s involvement in coup

    November 29, 2025
    39 Niger tanker explosion victims get mass burial

    Tanker explosion kills three in Kano

    November 29, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2025 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.