Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    February 21, 2026
    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    February 21, 2026
    Voters were seen waiting for the commencement of voting on Saturday at the Lugbe polling center in Abuja, as officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) struggled to complete preparations.

    FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses
    • FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent
    • FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit
    • Low voter turnout recorded at some FCT polling units
    • Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion
    • Mirabel in police custody over false rape claim
    • LASTMA confirms one killed as tanker crashes in Lagos
    • Pastor to die by hanging for killing landlord in Akwa Ibom
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    MTN restates commitment to list on NSE in six months

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 3, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Chief Executive MTN group Rob Shuter
    Chief Executive MTN group Rob Shuter
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Chief Executive MTN group Rob Shuter
    Chief Executive MTN group Rob Shuter

    MTN Group in South Africa has reiterated its commitment to list its Nigerian subsidiary on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) in the next six months as part of the settlement of the $1 billion fine imposed on it in 2015 by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) over the failure by the telecoms company to deactivate 5.2 million unregistered SIM cards on its network.

    The chief executive of MTN Group, Rob Shuter, made the disclosure during an interview with Bloomberg Television on Wednesday.

    According to him, “MTN Group Ltd. is focused on laying the groundwork for an initial public offering of its Nigerian business and should complete the process in the next six months.
    “We have a lot of advisers running around getting everything ready. It’s a complicated process and there’s a lot of regulation that needs to be arranged.

    “We are moving forward well with the project and anticipate concluding that in the next six months or so.”
    MTN agreed to the Nigerian initial public offer (IPO) as part of the settlement of a $1 billion fine imposed by the NCC on MTN in 2015.

    Africa’s biggest wireless operator by sales and subscriber number incurred the penalty after missing a deadline to disconnect unregistered subscribers amid a security crackdown.

    According to NCC, each contravention on SIM card registration attracts N200,000 and MTN had 5.2 million unregistered SIM cards that were detected on its network in 2015, amounting to a fine of N1.04 trillion ($5 billion) at the time.

    Read Also Truecaller hit 6.2m Nigerian mobile subscribers – Official

    The fine was however reduced by 25 per cent, following pleas from MTN. The firm got a further reduction to N780 billion, which was spread over a three-year period to ease payment.

    MTN has since commenced payment of the fine and is expected to complete payment in 2018.
    Since then, the CEO said he has been pleased with MTN’s operations in Nigeria, the biggest of the Johannesburg-based company’s 22 markets across Africa and the Middle East.

    Shuter joined MTN in March after holding executive roles at Vodafone Group Plc in Europe. He is the permanent replacement for Sifiso Dabengwa, who resigned after the Nigerian fine was imposed. Chairman Phuthuma Nhleko had run the company in the interim period.

    Shuter said his company was not holding back on expansion plans in the Middle East, even as U.S. President Donald Trump objected to the terms of a nuclear deal with Iran that led to the lifting of economic sanctions last year.
    MTN has about 49.5 million customers in Iran, just under Nigeria’s 50.3 million and has repatriated almost $1 billion from the country in the last 12 months.

    Shuter said: “In months to come I think there will be an opportunity to participate in the consolidation of the market.”

    MTN shares rose 0.2 per cent to 122.96 rand as of 10:53 a.m. on Wednesday in Johannesburg, valuing the company at 231 billion rand ($16.3 billion).

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    CBN, NCC propose instant refunds for failed airtime, data purchases

    CBN, NCC propose instant refunds for failed airtime, data purchases

    Amazon's Kuiper, BeetleSat, Satelio IoT, Satellite Permit Military considers adopting Starlink service in Japan

    Nigeria grants satellite permits to Amazon’s Kuiper, BeetleSat, Satelio

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu hails NGX’s N100tn milestone, urges Nigerians to deepen local investments

    Insurance stocks jump 10% after Tinubu signed law to recapitalise industry

    NGX market capitalisation hits N100tn milestone

    NCC blames diesel supply disruption for telecos network outages

    NCC blames diesel supply disruption for telecos network outages

    Call, data tariffs to increase by 60% - Minister

    Tech expert challenges Tijani’s claims of bandits using ‘call bouncers’ in Nigeria

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    FCT: AMAC election peaceful, says ADC’s Paul Moses

    February 21, 2026
    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    FAAN warns travellers against selfie, filming others without consent

    February 21, 2026
    Voters were seen waiting for the commencement of voting on Saturday at the Lugbe polling center in Abuja, as officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) struggled to complete preparations.

    FCT Election: Voting yet to begin at Lugbe polling unit

    February 21, 2026
    There was low voter turnout on Saturday morning at several polling units in the Abuja Municipal Area Council during the Federal Capital Territory Area Council elections.

    Low voter turnout recorded at some FCT polling units

    February 21, 2026
    Peller vows never to marry Nigerian woman, eyes foreign bride

    Peller escapes fire at Lagos mansion

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.