Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe
    • ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
    • Social network X restored after global outage
    • Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others
    • US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links
    • Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack
    • Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects
    • APC apologies for listing late army general, serving justice as stakeholders
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Tuesday, February 17
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Jonathan reveals more reasons he cannot testify in Metuh’s criminal trial

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorNovember 1, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Olisah Metuh is in court on corruption charges

    Former president Goodluck Jonathan had given further reasons why he want to be shielded from appearing as a witness in the ongoing trial of ex-Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, National Publicity Secretary, Olisa Metuh at an Abuja Federal High Court.

    Metuh, who is standing trial for receiving the sum of N400m from the Office of the National Security Adviser in 2014, had issued a subpoena on Jonathan.

    It was reported that the former president had urged the court to set it aside because it’s an invasion of his privacy.

    Jonathan while given further reasons in the motion filed challenging the subpoena, said “with several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation, to harass, intimidate and rubbish” his reputation and that of his wife, the witness summon issued on him was a ploy to drag his name in the mud.

    The motion filed on his behalf by his lawyer, Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), Jonathan recalled that there had been attempts to seize the properties and bank accounts of his wife, Patience, her relatives and her pet non-governmental organisation.

    Deposing to the affidavit filed in support of the motion, a litigation secretary in Ozekhome’s law firm, Usman Salihu, disclosed that he spoke to the former president through a phone call in the presence of the lead counsel, Ozekhome, at about 10am on October 29 (Sunday) who expressed shock on learning of the witness summon issued against him at Metuh’s behest because he has not been served.

    Read Also Tinubu says cabal in Aso Rock is ‘fake news’

    According to Salihu, “That he (Jonathan) has read in the media of a witness summons issued by this honourable court requiring him to come. before the court for the purpose of testifying before the court, in charge No: FHC/ABJ/CR/05/2016.

    “That there have been several attempts by some persons in the current dispensation to harass, intimidate and rubbish his reputation and that of his wife.

    “That several attempts have been made to attach or seize the accounts and properties of his wife, her relatives and her pet, NGO. Most of the cases filed for and against such moves are currently pending before various courts across Nigeria.

    “That when he read about the summons issued on him at the behest of the 2nd respondent, Olisa Metuh, he was shocked as he verily believes strongly that it forms part of the ploy to drag his name into the mire.

    “That he knows nothing pertaining to the seven counts for which Olisa Metuh, the first defendant in the charge is standing trial and consequently, has absolutely nothing to say as a witness before the court in respect thereof.

    “That he verily believes that the evidence sought from him, is likely to expose him to a criminal charge, penalty or forfeiture.”

    Contending that the subpoena was vague and was obtained on frivolous grounds, Salihu said the subpoena was obtained in bad faith as it was meant to embarrass the former President.

    Salihu stated that Metuh was not a personal aide or an appointee of the applicant, as such could not have dealt with the President directly under any circumstance to warrant the invitation.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Jihadists kill seven Ghanaians in Burkina Faso attack

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu lauds Adamawa gov for infrastructure projects

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    El-Rufai in EFCC custody over N423bn Kaduna probe

    February 17, 2026
    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    ‘Godfather’ actor Robert Duvall dies at 95

    February 17, 2026
    Social network X restored global outage

    Social network X restored after global outage

    February 16, 2026
    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    Court to hear suit seeking to deregister ADC, 3 others

    February 16, 2026
    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    US freezes assets of eight Nigerians over Boko Haram, ISIL links

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.