Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    February 22, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to earn about $275 million following his contract extension with Al Nassr

    Ronaldo pledges loyalty to Al-Nassr

    February 22, 2026
    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    APC wins Kuje chairmanship election

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law
    • Ronaldo pledges loyalty to Al-Nassr
    • APC wins Kuje chairmanship election
    • Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections
    • Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings
    • BREAKING: PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC
    • 117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno
    • APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Brown Ideye disowns ‘false’ report on jailing broke footballers

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoAugust 25, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Enyimba sign former Super Eagles striker, Ideye
    Former Super Eagles striker Brown Ideye
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Former Super Eagles forward Brown Ideye has refuted media claims that he advocated for retired footballers who go bankrupt to be imprisoned.

    The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations winner faced criticism last week when a comment he made during an online debate was extensively distributed by numerous publications, with many accusing him of being insensitive to the suffering of former Nigerian players.

    In a statement issued on Sunday, Ideye called the reports incorrect and a distortion of his position.

    “Let me be clear: These statements are completely false and misrepresent my views,” he said in the statement titled Setting the Record Straight.

    The ex-West Bromwich Albion forward said his views have always centred on support for footballers and athletes, particularly in addressing the challenges they face after retirement.

    “I would never suggest punitive action towards anyone who struggles financially or otherwise.

    “Instead, I advocate for focus to be on offering all necessary support, resources, training and mentorship programmes to help players/athletes navigate the transition from sports to life after the game,” Ideye explained.

    He also stated that conversations about the welfare of footballers should be approached with compassion, not condemnation.

    “It’s important to approach these conversations with empathy and solutions, not condemnation,” he said.

    The former Super Eagles striker also condemned the reports as damaging to his character and urged the media to avoid false attributions.

    “This article is misleading of my person and character, and I strongly condemn it.

    “I urge the public to disregard it and ask for the media to desist from false claims and publications, as such stories only bring disrepute and sow seeds of discord,” he said.

    Ideye further warned against hasty conclusions and misinterpretations of his comments.

    “School is not a scam; try to learn how to read and understand the whole story before jumping to conclusions,” he wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

    The controversy began days earlier after the former Super Eagles player advised active footballers to start saving money early in their careers.

    His advice came in response to ex-defender Taribo West’s emotional outburst at the burial of late goalkeeper Peter Rufai, where West accused football authorities of neglecting Super Eagles legends.

    During the online debate, Ideye encouraged players to be financially disciplined. “Footballers, start saving for your future from day one.

    “No matter how small your salary is, put something aside for your retirement,” the former footballer wrote.

    He also emphasised the necessity of having a strong support system, stating that success after retirement is dependent on excellent people and a trustworthy partner.

    However, in response to a follower, Ideye wrote, “They should be jailed for life if, after they retire from playing, they can’t feed themselves.”

    The 34-year-old, who just announced his retirement from international football, is one of Nigeria’s most experienced forwards, having played for the Super Eagles at the 2010 FIFA World Cup and won the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to earn about $275 million following his contract extension with Al Nassr

    Ronaldo pledges loyalty to Al-Nassr

    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    APC wins Kuje chairmanship election

    Tinubu says electoral results are finalised by humans not computers

    Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings

    PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    BREAKING: PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    February 22, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to earn about $275 million following his contract extension with Al Nassr

    Ronaldo pledges loyalty to Al-Nassr

    February 22, 2026
    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    APC wins Kuje chairmanship election

    February 22, 2026
    Tinubu says electoral results are finalised by humans not computers

    Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections

    February 22, 2026
    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.