Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark
    • 2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket
    • Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven
    • Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction
    • Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup
    • Barcelona thrash Lyon to win fourth Champions League title
    • EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles
    • Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, May 24
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Labour fumes over non-implementation of 15% telecoms tariff reduction

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoMarch 27, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    NLC warns ‘no community is safe anymore’ after Oyo abduction
    Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Over a month after the Federal Government, the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), and Organised Labour reached an agreement to reduce the telecommunications tariff hike from the 50% initially approved by the government and the NCC to 35%, the government and the NCC have yet to comment on the 15% reduction.

    The telecommunications operators have not only proceeded with the 50 per cent tariff increase as reflected in their rates but also show no signs that they intend to implement the 15 per cent reduction anytime soon.

    Remember that organised labour, through the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), forced the federal government and NCC to reduce the telecommunications tariff hike from 50% to 35% after threatening to shut down telecom operations and the NCC in response to what it saw as exploitative economic policies amidst excruciating suffering, hardship, and deepening poverty.

    The government had previously formed a 10-member committee, consisting of five government and NLC representatives, to deliberate on the thorny topic of tariff hikes within two weeks and report back before making a final decision on the new telecom tariff structure.

    Consequently, on Friday, February 21, 2025, the committee, at a meeting conducted in the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) that lasted nearly three hours, decided on a 15 per cent tariff cut.

    According to reports, in accordance with the conditions of the agreement, an official communiqué announcing the tariff reduction was scheduled to be released on Saturday, February 22.

    It was said that the meeting began at 4:00 p.m. and concluded around 7:00 p.m., during which NLC representatives insisted that the tariff hike be withdrawn.

    According to sources, after significant pressure from NLC representatives in the 10-man committee, the government and NCC gave up and agreed on the 15% decrease, which the government or NCC should have announced the next day.

    • Senate moves to slash data prices, calls for FG’s intervention

    However, at the time of this report, no such announcement has been made.

    Leaders of the labour union are not taking the government’s failure to announce or implement the 15% tariff decrease lightly, suspecting that they have been duped.

    Chronicle NG gathered that Labour leaders have resolved to directly confront the NCC and telecommunications operators next week.

    Though it has been reported that the date for the start of the industrial action against the NCC and telecom providers has been set and mobilisation is underway, the information is being closely guarded.

    One of the leaders of the NLC stated that “We have received directives to commence mobilisation since last week. In fact, the date for the commencement of industrial action against the NCC and telecommunication operators’ offices across the country has been fixed. We have been warned not to disclose the date because the plan is to take all concerned by surprise. We are not giving any notice because we thought we had resolved this matter over a month ago. It is as if we have been scammed. Therefore, we have decided to confront the matter head-on.”

    On February 12, the NLC expressed outrage over telecommunications companies’ tariff hikes, despite an earlier agreement with the Federal Government and the NCC.

    According to the Labour union, “If the telecommunications companies fail to revert to the old tariff by the end of February 2025, a total shutdown of their operations nationwide will commence on March 1, 2025.”

    To demonstrate its seriousness, the NLC declared that, as a first step in resisting the arbitrary tariff hike, it directed that workers and other willing citizens boycott the services of MTN, AIRTEL, and GLO daily between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. until the end.

    On Tuesday, February 11, NLC leaders issued a communiqué at the conclusion of their Central Working Committee (CWC) meeting in Lokoja, Kogi State, urging workers and citizens to suspend data purchases from telecommunications companies, which have also become one of their most effective tools for exploiting Nigerian citizens.

    The communiqué, signed by Congress’ President and General Secretary, Joe Ajaero and Emma Ugboaja, respectively, instructed NLC State Councils and industrial union affiliates to quickly sensitise and mobilise their members and the general public in their jurisdictions.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    EFCC anti-corruption infographic condemning leaders who loot public funds to buy private jets.

    EFCC warns leaders against looting public funds for luxury lifestyles

    Tinubu vows end to Plateau killings, orders 5,000-camera surveillance in Jos

    Tinubu to receive APC presidential ticket, flag on Sunday

    Health workers in protective gear responding to Ebola outbreak cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    WHO raises DR Congo Ebola risk ‘very high’ as Uganda records three more cases

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    El-Rufai court bail hearing in Abuja with strict DSS reporting and surety conditions outlined by the Federal High Court.

    Aichatou El-Rufai demands N2bn from ICPC over ‘wife of a defendant’ remark

    May 24, 2026
    Ireti Kingibe slams Wike, says ‘he’s out of touch, fuelling resentment in Abuja’

    2027: Ireti Kingibe wins ADC FCT Senate ticket

    May 24, 2026
    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    Usyk retains titles with controversial win against Verhoeven

    May 24, 2026
    A sacrificial albino buffalo named after US President Donald Trump which recently went viral, is pictured at an agro farm ahead of Eid-al-Adha, in Narayanganj, Bangladesh.

    Bangladesh’s ‘Donald Trump’ buffalo becomes Eid al-Adha attraction

    May 24, 2026
    Bayern Munich's Harry Kane is the top scorer in the Bundesliga

    Kane scores hat-trick as Bayern win German Cup

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.