Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    February 19, 2026
    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    February 19, 2026
    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1
    • When African fans started reading the game like experts
    • Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans
    • NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs
    • Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64
    • Rivers assembly stops impeachment proceedings against Fubara
    • EFCC secures interim attachment order on nine mineral-laden trucks in Kwara
    • Unity Bank says merger with Providus firmly on track
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, February 20
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Britain calls for new sanctions on North Korea

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorSeptember 5, 2017No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    UK British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is out of the hospital after treatment for coronavirus recession lockdown
    British Prime Minister Boris Johnson
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson.
    British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson.

    Britain’s Foreign Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday called on the international community to impose further sanctions on North Korea following the country’s latest nuclear test.

    “We are now pressing the Security Council to pass a new resolution as swiftly as possible, imposing further sanctions and showing the unity and determination of the international community,” Johnson told parliament in London.

    He said North Korea’s ambassador to Britain had been summoned to the Foreign Office “to receive a formal protest”.

    North Korea on Sunday triggered global alarm with by far its most powerful atomic test to date, claiming it was a hydrogen bomb that could be mounted onto a long-range missile.

    US Ambassador Nikki Haley told an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council on Monday that Washington will present a new sanctions resolution to be negotiated in the coming days, with a view to voting on it next Monday.

    Read Also Buhari lauds recession exit, says better days ahead

    Haley did not spell out what measures Washington was seeking, but diplomats said they could target oil supplies to North Korea — potentially dealing a major blow to the economy.

    New sanctions could also seek to curb tourism to the country and ban North Korean labourers sent abroad.

    In a phone call with US President Donald Trump on Tuesday, British Prime Minister Theresa May stressed the importance of the UN Security Council quickly agreeing new measures.

    “Mrs May said Britain would work with the US and international partners to continue to exert economic pressure on North Korea through further measures including sanctions,” a spokesman for the premier’s office said.

    A previous UN resolution adopted in early August banned exports of coal, seafood, iron ore and lead.

    In his address, Johnson also called on China to “use all its leverage to ensure peaceful settlement” of the crisis.

    “China, which accounts for 90 per cent of North Korea’s overseas trade, has a unique ability to influence the regime,” he said.

    China’s ambassador to the UN, Liu Jieyi, urged the parties to agree to a Chinese-Russian plan calling for the North to freeze its missile and nuclear tests and the United States and South Korea to suspend joint military exercises.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    Club Brugge netted a thrilling late equalizer while battling back twice against Atletico Madrid, leaving their Champions League knockout phase play-off tie finely balanced.

    UCL: Club Brugge score late equalizer against Atletico Madrid

    Bodo/Glimt

    Bodo/Glimt get shocking 3-1 UCL victory over Inter Milan

    Arsenal Gabriel and Martin Odegaard react after the 3-3 draw against Southampton at the Emirates Stadium REUTERS/Hannah Mckay

    Arsenal waste lead to draw last-place Wolves 2-2

    Newcastle cruise past Arsenal to reach Carabao Cup final

    UCL: Gordon scores four as Newcastle thrash Qarabag 6-1

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    FA Cup Crystal Palace whip Everton at Selhurst Park

    Crystal Palace waste lead to draw Zrinjski 1-1

    February 19, 2026
    Ghana fans at an Africa football game

    When African fans started reading the game like experts

    February 19, 2026
    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    Morocco seeks two years jail for 18 Senegalese fans

    February 19, 2026
    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    NBA denies sharing $2,000 with SANs

    February 19, 2026
    Senator Barinada Mpigi, the lawmaker representing Rivers South-East Senatorial District and Chairman of the Senate Committee on Works.

    Barinada Mpigi, Rivers senator dies at 64

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.