Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    February 19, 2026
    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    February 19, 2026
    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    • Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest
    • Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident
    • US to withdraw all troops from Syria
    • Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections
    • DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe
    • Tinubu strips NNPCL of oil revenue deduction powers, orders direct remittance to FAAC
    • Lagos hands over TikToker Mirabel ‘rape’ case to Ogun for investigation
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    DR Congo on ‘maximum alert’ over mysterious flu-like disease

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedDecember 6, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Landslide kills over 200 in Congo
    Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) said it was on “maximum alert” over a mystery disease that has killed dozens of people in just over a month.

    The illness causes flu-like symptoms — fever, cough and headaches — and has been described by Congolese authorities as “an unknown public health event”.

    First detected in late October, cases have so far been limited to the Panzi region, around 700 kilometres (435 miles) southeast of the capital, Kinshasa.

    “We are on maximum alert, we consider this to be a level of epidemic that we need to monitor,” Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba told reporters in Kinshasa.

    “In the health centres, we have counted 27 dead,” he said.

    • NDLEA nabs businesswoman, auto dealer over attempted export of cocaine to UK, Congo

    He added that another 44 deaths had been reported in the community but “other possible causes” could be involved in these.

    Access to the region is difficult by road and health infrastructure is lacking. Residents also face a shortage of drinking water and medicine.

    Just over 60 percent of people in the region suffer from malnutrition, especially children, making it one of the highest rates in the country, Kamba said.

    He recalled that the region had already suffered a serious typhoid fever epidemic two years ago.

    According to initial data, the unidentified disease particularly affects younger people, with 40 percent of cases among under fives.

    Epidemiologists have been sent to Panzi to take samples.

    Specialists have ruled out coronavirus but have concluded it is a disease that affects the respiratory system, the minister said.

    “We don’t know if we are dealing with a viral disease or a bacterial disease,” Dieudonne Mwamba, director general of the National Public Health Institute, said during an online press briefing by the African Union’s health watchdog, Africa CDC.

    “We don’t even know the mode of transmission,” Africa CDC chief Jean Kaseya said.

    Among the 27 deaths in health centres, 17 people died after suffering respiratory distress, the minister said.

    Ten died from a lack of transfusion due to a state of severe anaemia.

    The DR Congo , one of the world’s poorest countries, has in recent months been at the epicentre of an outbreak of mpox, with more than 1,000 deaths.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    DSS detains El-Rufai after EFCC probe

    Tinubu strips NNPCL of oil revenue deduction powers, orders direct remittance to FAAC

    Tinubu strips NNPCL of oil revenue deduction powers, orders direct remittance to FAAC

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    February 19, 2026
    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    February 19, 2026
    Vinicius Junior scored a spectacular winner for Real Madrid against Benfica in their Champions League play-off first leg, which was stopped for 10 minutes for alleged racist abuse.

    Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident

    February 19, 2026
    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    February 19, 2026
    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.