Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    February 19, 2026
    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest
    • Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals
    • Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection
    • Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally
    • Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest
    • Vinicius gets support from football stars over racist abuse incident
    • US to withdraw all troops from Syria
    • Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Thursday, February 19
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    South Africans attack foreign-owned businesses over death of 23 children

    Vincent OsuwoBy Vincent OsuwoNovember 15, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    South Africans attack foreign-owned businesses over death of 23 children
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The deaths of 23 children in Johannesburg this year due to suspected food poisoning have sparked outrage in South Africa against foreign immigrants who manage small corner stores known as spazas. 

    There is still police tape around a now-closed spaza business in Soweto’s Naledi neighbourhood that reportedly sold snacks to six small children who died from poisoning last October.

    The tragedy infuriated locals, who stormed and plundered the spaza before chasing out the proprietor, who was apparently an Ethiopian national. Even the individual who rented out the space left in fright.

    While an autopsy confirmed that a chemical was the cause of death, no formal link to the shop has been established.

    As similar incidents were recorded in other places, public outrage grew, prompting authorities to conduct raids on foreign-run spazas to ensure compliance with laws and regulations.

    • South African policemen rob Nigerian rapper, steal jewellery worth N1.9bn

    Several have been forced to close, and the shopkeepers, mostly from Ethiopia, India, Pakistan, or Somalia, have gone.

    Six spazas in Olievenhoutbosch outside Pretoria were shuttered last week due to irregularities, according to Sarah Mabotsa, a municipal council officer.

    “They’re selling expired food; they’re selling skin products; they’re selling meat; everything is in one shop,” she charged.

    South Africa, the continent’s most industrialised country, is a popular destination for job seekers, despite its own unemployment rate of over 32%.

    The competition has fostered distrust and sometimes violence. If authorities do not intervene, a xenophobic vigilante group known as Operation Dudula (which means “push back” in Zulu) frequently does.

    In Naledi, Dudula’s efforts resulted in the replacement of foreign shopkeepers at six spazas with South African nationals.

    “We have chased the foreigners. Foreigners were running the shop before, and we kicked them out,” one of the new shopkeepers, Maphoka Mohalanwani, said proudly.

    “The recent spate of food poisonings is without doubt “related to the foreigners,” the 54-year-old said.

    “When our kids eat chips from the streets, they do not die… they are dying because of their poison,” said Mohalanwani.

    The former cashier was chosen for the position by Operation Dudula, which provided some funding to South Africans to take over from foreign foreigners running spaza stores.

    “Some stores were closed down by officials because they don’t respect the laws of this country,” the head of Operation Dudula, Zandile Dabula, told AFP.

    And for those that reopened, “we went back to go and make sure that they closed again,” she said.

    Even South African politicians have made outright calls for all spaza shops to be run by South Africans.

    The devastating spate of the deaths of young children has gripped South Africa, with speculation rife in the absence of hard evidence about what caused their deaths.

    Some feel that foreigners are purposely poisoning South Africans, while others believe that the outrage is a fabricated attempt to reclaim the spazas and their earnings for locals.

    “We don’t know what is causing these things (cases),” said Somali national Zachariah Salah at one spaza in White City, Soweto.

    “It was not even clear if the claims of poisonings were genuine or not, he said. Either way, it’s tragic for us.”

    Loren Landau, who studies migration at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, stated that the attacks against foreign-owned shops were “really about eliminating competition for business.

    “If you try to shut down South African businesses, people would protest,” he said. But “you can go after a foreigner; no one will protest.”

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    100 US troops arrive in Nigeria for counterterrorism support

    US to withdraw all troops from Syria

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Police deploy personnel ahead of FCT council elections

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Gabon suspends social media amid 'fake news', rising unrest

    Gabon suspends social media amid ‘fake news’, rising unrest

    February 19, 2026
    Canada flags Nigeria, 16 African countries as high-risk in new travel advisory

    Canada updates express entry for foreign professionals

    February 19, 2026
    Yoon: South Korea’s ex-president indicted for abuse of power

    Yoon: Ex-South Korea leader bags life sentence over insurrection

    February 19, 2026
    Bolt has revealed that Isaac Satlat, the Nigerian student murdered by suspected carjackers in Pretoria, South Africa, was an illegal driver.

    Bolt reveals slain S’Africa-based Nigerian student worked illegally

    February 19, 2026
    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    Tinubu made Buhari, he can make an Igbo President too – Cubana Chief Priest

    February 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.