Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    February 22, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to earn about $275 million following his contract extension with Al Nassr

    Ronaldo pledges loyalty to Al-Nassr

    February 22, 2026
    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    APC wins Kuje chairmanship election

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law
    • Ronaldo pledges loyalty to Al-Nassr
    • APC wins Kuje chairmanship election
    • Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections
    • Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings
    • BREAKING: PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC
    • 117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno
    • APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Sunday, February 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    EFCC Seals Multi-Billion Naira Enugu Mall

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorJuly 26, 2017No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    EFCC Seals Multi-Billion Naira Enugu Mall
    EFCC Seals Multi-Billion Naira Enugu Mall
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    EFCC Seals Multi-Billion Naira Enugu Mall
    EFCC Seals Multi-Billion Naira Enugu Mall

    The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Wednesday sealed the multi-billion naira Enugu Mall occupied by SPAR, a multinational retail outlet.

    The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that EFCC officers stormed the building in the early hours of the day and dispersed all the workers.

    Mr Chris Oluka, the Head of Public Affairs of EFCC, confirmed the incident, saying that the managers of the building flouted the directive of EFCC on the construction of the building.

    Oluka said that the officers from Abuja raided the mall and dispersed workers who were recently recruited preparatory to official opening of business on Friday.

    “Yes, our men went there to disperse them because they flouted our instructions.

    “We had sealed the premises and wrote ‘under EFCC investigation’, but they covered the write-up with paint,” he said.

    It would be recalled that the commission had earlier in the year sealed the mall, located beside the Enugu State House of Assembly, by writing the inscription ‘Under EFCC Investigation’.

    However, construction work continued at the site.

    Mr Johnson Babalola, the Zonal Head of Operations in EFCC South East, had during an earlier interaction with newsmen, said it was not against any known law for the owners to go ahead with construction work.

    Babalola said that since the property was not yet under permanent forfeiture to the government, “construction work can still go on while investigations continue”.

    On the new development, Oluka, however, said that allowing the business to operate in the building could jeopardise investigations.

    “I do not have much to say about this because the officers that dispersed the workers this morning came from Abuja,” Oluka said.

    On the invitation of the manager of the mall to the zonal office of the commission after the workers were dispersed, Oluka said it should not be misconstrued as an arrest.

    “They were invited to come and explain why they did what we told them not to do,” Oluka said.

    Some workers at the mall, however, expressed displeasure over the incident, describing it as anti-labour.

    Some of the newly recruited workers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they were worried because EFCC officials swooped on the mall just two days to the official opening.

    One of the workers said: “we are surprised this can happen at a time the government is preaching job creation.

    “Over 250 of us were employed by this company and we are not certain what will happen next.

    “We are appealing to the authorities concerned to look into it urgently and save us from continued hardship.”

    Efforts to reach the managers failed as they were all at the EFCC office for interrogation as at the time of this report.

    (NAN)

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    APC wins Kuje chairmanship election

    Tinubu says electoral results are finalised by humans not computers

    Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings

    PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    BREAKING: PDP wins Gwagwalada chairmanship in FCT polls as APC secures AMAC

    117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno

    117 repentant terrorists complete rehabilitation programme in Borno

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    SERAP gives Tinubu seven days to scrap phone‑tapping law

    February 22, 2026
    Cristiano Ronaldo is expected to earn about $275 million following his contract extension with Al Nassr

    Ronaldo pledges loyalty to Al-Nassr

    February 22, 2026
    APC sweeps Ahoada East bye-election as INEC returns Ukalikpe elected

    APC wins Kuje chairmanship election

    February 22, 2026
    Tinubu says electoral results are finalised by humans not computers

    Tinubu congratulates winners of FCT, Kano, Rivers elections

    February 22, 2026
    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Lagos: Nigerians reject 5% withholding tax on bet winnings

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.