Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure
    • Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028
    • Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit
    • Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign
    • Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo
    • JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements
    • Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod
    • Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Friday, May 22
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    N4bn Fraud: Obiano to seek medical treatment abroad

    David GreatBy David GreatApril 19, 2024No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Former Anambra State governor, Willie Obiano in court
    Former Anambra State governor, Willie Obiano in court
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    The Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, on Thursday, has granted the prayers of immediate past governor of Anambra State, Willie Obiano, for the release of his international passport to seek medical treatment abroad.

    Obiano is standing trial for an N4bn theft charges filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

    Presiding judge, Justice Inyang Ekwo, however, dismissed the preliminary objection filed by Obiano to challenge the powers of the EFCC to try him.

    Justice Ekwo, while adjourning till June 27 for the commencement of trial, said Obiano must return his passport to the court on his return from the medical trip.

    Obiano was arraigned on January 24, over a nine counts charge bordering on theft of Anambra State security votes to the tune of N4bn.

    • N4bn Fraud: EFCC accuses Willie Obiano of evading court as trial stalls

    In a preliminary objection filed through his lawyer, Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN), the ex-governor contended that the EFCC lacked the power to prosecute him.

    He urged the court to, therefore, quash the charges, describing them as an abuse of court process.

    The former governor maintained that no prima facie case had been established against him.

    Justice Ekwo ruling over the objection said the application lacked merit and therefore dismissed it.

    Justice Ekwo said since the security vote, which is the crux of the matter, is paid from the Federation Account, the Federal High Court had jurisdiction to entertain the case.

    “As long as the EFCC Act has not been declared unconstitutional, this court cannot stop the implementation of the Act.

    “The powers of the EFCC ought to be a question of law and have bearing in the 1999 Constitution.

    “State security vote comes from the Federation Account, making the development a constitutional issue.

    “This court has no powers to preempt the case of the prosecution, “ the judge held.

    On the issue of proof of evidence, Justice Ekwo said the Federal High Court is a court of summary jurisdiction in criminal proceedings.

    He explained that summary jurisdiction excuses the use of proof of evidence prior to the commencement of trial.

    “The submission of proof of evidence by the defendant is mistaken and not applicable in this court,” the judge held.

    He also said the appeal filed by the Anambra State government referenced by the defendant had been determined in favour of the EFCC by the Supreme Court.

    “I find, at this point, that none of the provisions of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), upon which the applicant relied in his application, has any bearing on this case.

    “I make an order dismissing this application,” the judge held.

    After the ruling, Ikpeazu moved an application to vary the bail granted to the defendant.

    “This is based on the health conditions and medical appointments of the defendant. His treatments usually last 60 days. He will comply with the conditions set by my lord, “ Ikpeazu added.

    Counsel for the EFCC, Sylvanus Tahir (SAN), did not oppose the application but expressed reservations about the 60 days Obiano would require for treatment.

    Tahir said, “We are not opposed to the application but we have issues with the 60 days. The trial has been truncated already.”

    The judge, however, granted Obiano’s prayer and subsequently adjourned till June 24, 25, 26 and 27 June for trial.

    The judge ruled: “Prayers 2,3 and 4 are hereby granted. Defendant to return his passport upon his return.”

     

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Kaduna State Governor Uba Sani addressing judiciary staff union leaders during a meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House in Kaduna.

    JUST IN: Sani approves nearly N1bn for Kaduna workers’ entitlements

    Trump : You're on your own, US tells citizens in Israel amid Middle East tensions 

    Trump sends 5000 US troops to Poland, NATO gives nod

    Nigerians reacting on social media to the appointment of Segun Aina as new JAMB registrar announced by President Tinubu.

    Mixed reactions trail JAMB registrar Segun Aina appointment

    The Governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has expressed deep sorrow over the death of ten people in a tragic accident in the Okete community, Ohimini Local Government Area.

    Alia wins Benue APC governorship primary election

    RCMP tactical armoured vehicle and heavily armed officers outside a Spencer Street home during a police raid in downtown St. John’s.

    Police deploy flash bangs, armoured vehicle in St. John’s drug raid

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Alvaro Arbeloa appointed as Real Madrid head coach after Alonso exit

    Alvaro Arbeloa confirms Real Madrid departure

    May 22, 2026
    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent manager

    Man United confirm Carrick as permanent head coach until 2028

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola’s exit

    May 22, 2026
    Manchester City confirm Pep Guardiola's exit

    Man City confirm Guardiola exit after trophy-filled 10-year reign

    May 22, 2026
    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    Irate mob sets Ebola hospital on fire in DR Congo

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.