Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency
    • 65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak
    • NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets
    • Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction
    • Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings
    • Bruno Fernandes equals assist record as Man United beat Forest 3-2
    • Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’
    • Chelsea appoint Alonso as new manager after turbulent season
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, May 18
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Rescuers, families search for train crash victims in India

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedJune 4, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    People work at the scene of a train derailment after a devastating outbreak of tornadoes ripped through several US states in Earlington, Kentucky, US
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Rescuers and families combed amid crushed train carriage on Sunday for additional dead in India’s worst rail catastrophe in almost two decades, with signal failure emerging as the most likely reason.

    At least 275 people were killed on Friday when a passenger train collided with a halted goods train, skidded off the rails and collided with another passenger train travelling in the other way near the Balasore district of Odisha’s eastern state.

    According to Odisha Chief Secretary Pradeep Jena’s statement to ANI news agency, the death toll, which had previously been estimated at 288, was lowered down on Sunday when it was discovered that several bodies had been tallied twice.

    Five more bodies were brought to a school being used as a mortuary near the scene of the accident early on Sunday.

    “We do not know how many more bodies will come,” a health worker said.

    The state-run Indian Railways, which says it transports more than 13 million people every day, has been working to improve its patchy safety record because of ageing infrastructure.

    Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who faces an election due next year, visited the scene on Saturday to talk to rescue workers, inspect the wreckage, and meet some of the nearly 1,200 injured. “Those found guilty will be punished stringently,” Modi said.

    Preliminary Investigation

    A preliminary investigation has indicated that the Coromandel Express, heading to Chennai from Kolkata, moved out of the main track and entered a loop track—a side track used to park trains—at a speed of under 130 kph (81 mph) and crashed into a freight train that was parked on the loop track, a railway official said.

    The crash caused the engine and the first four or five coaches of the Coromandel Express to jump the tracks, topple, and hit the last two or three coaches of the Yeshwantpur-Howrah train heading in the opposite direction at around 115 kph at the same time on the second main track, the person said.

    This caused the Yeshwantpur-Howrah train to also jump the tracks, resulting in massive wreckage, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity as they are not authorised to speak to the media.

    The drivers of the two passenger trains were injured but survived the crash, the person said.

    Restoration Work

    Workers with heavy machinery were clearing the damaged track, wrecked trains, and electric cables as distraught relatives looked on.

    More than 1,000 people are involved in the rescue, the Railway Ministry said on Twitter.

    “The target is that by Wednesday morning the entire restoration work will be complete and the tracks should be working,” said Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw.

    At a business centre where bodies are being taken for identification, dozens of relatives waited, many weeping and clutching identification cards and pictures of missing loved ones.

    Kanchan Choudhury, 49, was searching for her husband at the centre. Five people from her village were travelling on the train, of whom four were being treated at the hospital for injuries. However, her husband was found dead, Kanchan Choudhury told newsmen as she wept while waiting to claim compensation at a counter in the centre, carrying both her and her husband’s identity cards.

    Families of the dead will get 1 million rupees ($12,000) in compensation, while the seriously injured will get 200,000 rupees, with 50,000 rupees for minor injuries, Vaishnaw said on Saturday.

    U.S. President Joe Biden, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, and French President Emmanuel Macron have expressed condolences.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    Frank Edoho, ex-wife fight dirty over infidelity, divorce

    Frank Edoho laments, says ‘I don’t want to die because of a woman’

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    WHO declares DR Congo, Uganda Ebola outbreak global health emergency

    May 17, 2026
    Health workers responding to Ebola outbreak in DR Congo Ituri province

    65 dead as DR Congo confirms new Ebola outbreak

    May 17, 2026
    Packets of counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets flagged by NAFDAC over fake batch numbers and health risks in Nigeria.

    NAFDAC warns Nigerians over counterfeit Augmentin 625mg tablets

    May 17, 2026
    Security concerns rise in Oyo communities as schools shut following student abduction in Oriire LGA.

    Oyo shuts schools after students, principal abduction

    May 17, 2026
    Benue: Protesting Plateau women destroy military checkpoints over killings

    Benue youths protest during APC primaries, reject political activities over killings

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.