Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    • Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Doctors without borders gain access to quake zone in Syria

    Opalim LiftedBy Opalim LiftedFebruary 19, 2023No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Resident doctors gives FG four-week ultimatum to pay salaries, allowances
    Medical doctors
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    Medecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said on Sunday that a convoy of 14 of its trucks had entered northwestern Syria to assist in earthquake rescue operations, as concerns grow about a lack of access to the war-torn region.

    The World Food Programme (WFP) has been pressuring authorities in that region of Syria to allow access as it seeks to assist hundreds of thousands of people affected by the devastating Feb. 6 earthquake.

    WFP Director David Beasley told reporters on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference on Saturday that the Syrian and Turkish governments were cooperating well, but that its operations in northwestern Syria were being hampered.

    Last week, the agency announced that it was running out of supplies there and called for more border crossings from Turkey to be opened.

    In Syria, which has already been devastated by more than a decade of civil war, the majority of fatalities have occurred in the northwest. The area is controlled by insurgents who are at odds with forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad, complicating efforts to deliver aid to the people.

    Meanwhile, in Turkey, rescue efforts were winding down on Sunday, with many people praying only for bodies to mourn.

    • Babies removed from rubble as death tolls hit 21,000 in Turkey, Syria quake

    “Would you pray to find a dead body? We do … to deliver the body to the family,” said bulldozer operator Akin Bozkurt as his machine clawed at the rubble of a destroyed building in the town of Kahramanmaras.

    “You recover a body from under tonnes of rubble. Families are waiting with hope,” Bozkurt said. “They want to have a burial ceremony. They want a grave.”

    According to Islamic tradition, the dead should be buried as quickly as possible.

    U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken arrived in Turkey on Sunday for an official visit and discussions on how Washington can further assist Ankara as it grapples with the aftermath of a devastating tragedy.

    The 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck Turkey’s southeast and neighbouring Syria has killed more than 46,000 people and left at least a million people homeless, with the economic cost of the disaster expected to run into billions of dollars.

    The head of Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), Yunus Sezer, said the search and rescue efforts would largely end on Sunday night.

    The toll is expected to climb, with some 345,000 apartments in Turkey known to have been destroyed and many people still missing.

    Neither Turkey nor Syria has said how many people are still unaccounted for.

    In one of the last efforts to pull people out of the rubble 12 days after the earthquake, emergency teams on Saturday night began clearing debris with their hands at one site in Antakya.

    Search dogs and thermal cameras had detected signs of life from two people, rescuers said. But just after midnight, eight hours into the operation, the teams called off the rescue.

    “No one is alive,” said Mujdat Erdogan, a member of AFAD, his face, and uniformly covered in dust. “I don’t think we can rescue people anymore.”

    The World Health Organization estimates that some 26 million people across both Turkey and Syria need humanitarian aid.

     

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    Amotekun arrests 170 anti-open grazing law violators

    Amotekun nabs12 suspected kidnappers, 83 others in Ondo

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.