Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations
    • Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday
    • Customs seize N1bn worth of cocaine at Badagry–Seme border
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    Equatorial Guinea to return detained oil tanker to Nigeria

    David GreatBy David GreatNovember 12, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Equatorial Guinea will release the oil tanker to Nigeria after talks between both countries
    Equatorial Guinea will release the oil tanker to Nigeria after talks between both countries
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp

    An oil supertanker accused by Nigerian authorities of attempting to illegally load crude before leaving its territorial waters is on its way back to the country, a Nigerian Navy spokesman told Reuters on Friday.

    At the request of Nigerian authorities, Equatorial Guinea detained the Heroic Idun, a vessel capable of carrying 2 million barrels of oil, on Aug. 17 for sailing without an identifying flag, fleeing from the Nigerian navy and sailing in Equatorial Guinean waters without prior authorization.

    Nigerian officials said Messrs. Idun Maritime Ltd, a Marshall Islands-based company, owned the vessel. Reuters was unable to reach Idun Martime.

    Nigerian Navy spokesman Commodore Kayode Ayo-Vaughan told Reuters that two Nigerian naval vessels had begun escorting the ship back to Nigeria on Friday afternoon.

    Refinitiv vessel tracking on Friday showed the ship’s destination as Bonny, Nigeria.

    A spokesperson for the Equatorial Guinean government did not immediately reply to request comment. On Nov. 7, Teodoro Nguema Obiang Mangue, Equatorial Guinea’s vice president and head of defense and security, said on Twitter that he had authorized the vessel to return to Nigeria.

    • Canada, Nigeria target oil and gas methane emissions with new laws

    Oil theft has taken more than 400,000 barrels per day (bpd) from Nigeria’s oil output, crippled state finances and knocked it from Africa’s top exporter to number two, according to Nigeria’s state oil company.

    Nigeria said the vessel had not loaded any oil before the Navy approached it, but said the ship made a false claim of a piracy attack, entered a restricted area without authorization and attempted to load crude oil illegally.

    Vessel manager OSM Maritime said in a statement that when the navy approached it, it had been awaiting clearance papers, that the crew genuinely believed they were facing a piracy attack and that leaving the area for international waters was following best management practice.

    It said they had paid a fine to Equatorial Guinea in September, on the promise that they would release the ship and its crew, and called its continued detention “shocking maritime injustice.”

    In a fact sheet shared with Reuters, the Nigerian government said the vessel must return to answer charges or otherwise clear its name.

    “This would indeed send a strong message to any collaborators involved in crude oil theft in Nigeria, and the international community at large,” the fact sheet said.

    The vessel’s 26-man crew on Nov. 8 filed a petition with a federal high court in Abuja asking it to block efforts to “unlawfully rendition” them back to Nigeria, arguing that Nigeria and Equatorial Guinea had no extradition treaty and no mutual legal assistance agreement.

    The date for ruling is yet to be fixed for the case.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Tinubu to visit Adamawa, commission projects Monday

    Customs to review agents’ licence renewal fees January 2026

    Customs seize N1bn worth of cocaine at Badagry–Seme border

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    February 15, 2026
    Arsenal beat Brighton to reach Carabao Cup quarter-finals

    Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.