Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings
    • Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community
    • Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum
    • N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays
    • Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 
    • Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday
    • Lakurawa terrorists kill 33 in Kebbi’s attack
    • Plateau inaugurates panel to probe VIO misconduct
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Saturday, February 21
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    736,000 Nigerians fled their homes in 2015 – Report

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorDecember 9, 2016No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Southern Kaduna crisis is tied with religious and ethnic tension Niger State Nigeria
    Northwest Nigeria has been scarred by the activities of insurgents, bandits and gunmen who demand taxes from residents
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Some citizens fled their homes as a result of widespread violence or disaster in 2015
    Some citizens fled their homes as a result of widespread violence or disaster in 2015

    A report by the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre (IDMC) has showed that at least 736,000 Nigerians fled their home in 2015 following violence perpetuated by Islamist sect, Boko Haram.

    IDMC also indicated that as many as 3.5 million people in Africa were uprooted from their homes in 2015 due to conflict and natural disasters and left stranded in their own country, with many governments overlooking this growing problem, according to a report released on Friday.

    Figures from IDMC showed an average of about 9,500 people fled their homes daily last year, bringing the total number of Africans displaced internally to 12.4 million, with the number set to rise in 2016.

    The report calculates the number of internally displaced people (IDPs) is double the number of the continent’s refugees, estimated by the United Nations to have reached 5.4 million in 2015, highlighting the scale of Africa’s comparatively overlooked “internal displacement crisis”.

    While refugees are the responsibility of the international community, people displaced within their own country are the responsibility of national governments.

    “Many of these governments are not even aware of the scale of the problem within their own borders,” said Alexandra Bilak, IDMC director told the Thomson Reuters Foundation in an interview.

    “They need to take up their responsibilities and actually keep track of these people.”

    ONGOING CRISES

    The figures for the first half of 2016 are likely to be at least as high with ongoing conflicts in countries like South Sudan, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Nigeria, Bilak said.

    FILE PHOTO: Internally Displaced Persons at a camp in Dikwa, Borno State, Nigeria
    FILE PHOTO: Internally Displaced Persons at a camp in Dikwa, Borno State, Nigeria

    The report’s publication marks the anniversary of the Kampala Convention, Africa’s landmark commitment to preventing displacement and protecting the rights of IDPs, signed in 2009 and now ratified by 25 countries.

    It argues better data is needed, especially on people driven from their homes by slow-onset crises such as a drought, and this is crucial if governments are to meet their commitments.

    “Reliable data on population movements is vital to ensure a timely and well targeted operational and policy response,” the report said.

    The IDMC hoped the report would be a reminder that while the continent’s refugee crisis has attracted international attention in recent years, the problem of huge numbers of Africans uprooted from their homes but temporarily settled in their own countries is not new.

    “The same people remain on our books, year in, year out. The numbers are not going down,” said Bilak.

    The report draws attention to “off-the-radar” displacement in countries like Ethiopia and Malawi, which, while relatively stable, suffer slow-moving environmental challenges such as drought that are “blind spots” for policymakers.

    A third of African countries are prone to drought, and most are increasingly vulnerable as result of climate change.

    It also highlights the role of southern Africa’s worst agricultural drought in 35 years – and resulting severe food shortages – in driving people from their homes in 2015.

    The report also emphasised the need for African governments to recognise the role of development projects in causing the sort of “off-the-radar” displacement with people evicted from slums to make way for infrastucture.

    All too often “the impact of development projects and business activities on the people they force from their homes and livelihoods is not visible to policymakers,” the report said.

    Reuters

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Emergency rule: Court to decide if Tinubu can remove elected officials March 9

    Tinubu urges orderly conduct as Rivers, Kano, FCT vote Saturday

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The Lagos State Internal Revenue Service has declared that it will use third-party agents to collect unpaid taxes from defaulting taxpayers, including banks, employers, debtors, tenants, and business partners.

    Lagos implements 5% withholding tax on gaming winnings

    February 20, 2026
    Oba Kehinde Falodun, the monarch of the Agamọ Community in the Akure North Local Government Area of Ondo State, was reportedly slain by suspected Terrorists.

    Terrorists kidnap three in fresh attack on Plateau community

    February 20, 2026
    President Bola Tinubu has expressed sadness over the demise of the Chief of Naval Operations of the Nigerian Navy, Rear Admiral Musa Katagum, who passed away on Thursday after a protracted illness.

    Tinubu mourns death of naval chief Katagum

    February 20, 2026
    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    N738m fraud case: Judge rebukes Maina over delays

    February 20, 2026
    Police arrest Buhari's ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    Police arrest Buhari’s ex-aide Obono-Obla over alleged certificate forgery 

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.