Close Menu
Chronicle NG
    Trending Stories
    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    February 16, 2026
    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    February 16, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today
    • 2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging
    • Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe
    • Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS
    • Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash
    • FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu
    • Arsenal reach FA Cup fifth round after thrashing Wigan 4-0
    • Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Chronicle NGChronicle NG
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • News
      • Nigeria News
      • World News
      • Headlines News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Sport
    • Entertainment
    • Contact Us
    Chronicle NG

    73 people die from 913 Lassa fever cases in Nigeria – NCDC

    Chronicle EditorBy Chronicle EditorFebruary 23, 2018No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp
    Lassa fever claims 122 lives as Nigeria confirms 660 cases
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp
    Nigeria’s Center for Disease Control says 73 people have died of Lassa Fever

    An unprecedented outbreak of a disease that causes bleeding from the vagina has now killed 73 people in Nigeria, according to the latest figures.

    Health officials in the African country warn cases of Lassa fever have rocketed by nearly 50 per cent in a week.

     

    It comes just days after the World Health Organization named the deadly virus in its list of pathogens that pose the most ‘urgent’ threat.

    At least 913 suspected cases of Lassa fever have been recorded since the turn of the year, Nigeria’s Center for Disease Control states.

    By contrast, a cumulative toll of cases released last week revealed just 615 had been recorded since January 1.

    READ: Missouri Governor Eric Greitens arrested, charged over nude photo

    Elsie Ilori, manager of the NCDC’s Lassa Fever Emergency Operations Centre, said the situation currently ‘is overwhelming’.

    In an interview with Bloomberg, she explained that the current outbreak is ‘more than what we have seen before’.

    The Lassa fever outbreak, which has struck 17 of Nigeria’s 36 states, has already prompted international aid efforts.

    Nigerian officials praised the WHO earlier this week for its efforts in containing the outbreak, despite figures showing cases are on the rise.

    A separate statement released today by the WHO also warned of a potential spike in cases in two nearby countries on the west coast of Africa.

    It revealed a patient from Guinea had sought treatment in Liberia after becoming ill. She later died and was confirmed to have Lassa fever.

    Lassa fever is endemic in Nigeria and several other countries on the west coast of Africa, including Liberia and Guinea, according to the WHO.

    Symptoms begin with headaches, sore throats and vomiting, but it can trigger bleeding from the mouth, nose or vagina.

    However, they gradually progress to shock, seizures, tremors, disorientation and comas without prompt treatment.

    A quarter of patients will also experience temporary deafness that will eventually return, medical literature states.

    Pregnant women who contract the disease late in pregnancy face an 80 per cent chance of losing their child or dying themselves.

    It can either be spread by rats or from person-to-person by exposure to bodily fluids of someone who is infected.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Telegram WhatsApp

    Keep Reading

    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Wike bloc plans March 28 PDP convention after court victory

    FCT Poll: Wike to back only candidates who support Tinubu

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Miyetti Allah rejects US sanctions over terrorism allegations

    Subscribe to News

    Be the first to get the latest news updates from ChronicleNG about world, sports, politics etc

    The South African Police Service says a female suspect apprehended over the murder of a Nigerian e-hailing driver will be arraigned today.

    Police to arraign suspect in S’Africa-based Nigerian student’s killing today

    February 16, 2026
    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    2027 votes must count, Obi warns election officials against rigging

    February 16, 2026
    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    Presidency links El-Rufai’s thallium sulphate claim to N432bn Kaduna corruption probe

    February 16, 2026
    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    Ribadu asks El-Rufai to provide proof of toxic chemical procurement to DSS

    February 15, 2026
    Rayo Vallecano defeated Atlético Madrid 3-0 in Butarque, exposing Atlético's fragile lineup and lifting Rayo out of the relegation zone.

    Rayo Vallecano thrash Atlético Madrid 3-0 in LaLiga clash

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Politics
    • News
    • Sports
    • Business
    • About Us
    © 2026 ChronicleNG

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.